Need help calibrating my system PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Guidry, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

Ok I have had my system for a while now but never really calibrated it. I have the Ultimate DVD platinum disc to do this but I am not sure how to do it all. I have an ONKYO TX-DS676 receiver and some B&W speakers. I am going to go and get a radio shack dB meter and I have never used one of them before either so I will need some help from someone who is familiar with these things. When I turn the receiver up to 62 on the volume it says ref...is this what they call reference volume...where you are trying to be when you calibrate the system. ANYONE help please!!!

Thanks

Mark

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Mark: the display on your receiver is an aproximation only. Think if it being true for a "reference" speaker and a SPL meter measuring 1 foot away. Your speakers are different and you sit a different distance.

You should really try and rent Video Essentails or Avia as these disks tell you exactly how to level-adjust your speakers.

In a nutshell:

- Put the SPL meter on a camera tripod at the primary listening position. "C" weighting, Average, make it point up about 45 degrees above your center speaker.

- With the test tones playing on ONE of the front L/R speakers, adjust the main volumn control up/down until the meter reads 75 db

- When the test tone switches to the center speaker, use your receiver remote and go into the "setup" menu and add/subtract volume from the center until it also reads 75 db on the meter.

- Repeat for each of the rear speakers.

- If you have a external sub, adjust it to produce 75-85 db. (Yes, it's ok to let the sub be a little louder for movies).

Hope this helps.

3. Mark Guidry

Ok that is kinda what I thought. What I did was put the meter in the listening position and I set the volume on the receiver to -5db (for DD then after I checked it in DTS and I had to raise the volume to 0db to get the same 75db on the speakers...is that right??) and then set all the speaker levels to 75 db on the meter and then the sub to 86 or so. Cool I am glad that I got that right and thanks for the help!!! So is that what they mean when they say they watch a movie at reference level volume....if I put it at -5db again for a movie???

4. Dan Kaps

Dan Kaps Extra

That's right, Mark. But be ready..."reference level" in the home is pretty darn loud to most people and will REALLY tax most subs (especially if you calibrate it to 10db+ over reference). Personally, I usually listen/watch at around 8-10db below reference even though my tolerance for loud is pretty high, since I was a professional drummer for about 12 years. It was quite an eye opener when I made my first attempt at "reference level". Have fun.
    Dan Kaps
    www.heartlandcables.com

5. Mark Guidry

Well maybe I am not doing something right...I like the sound of referece level...actualy noit to laud at all...I might have to play with it some more and make sure I have everything rght.

Thanks