What's new

Need help buying Yamaha or Panasonic Home Theater System with my tax rebate check! (1 Viewer)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
My wife and I are anticipating our $600 tax rebate check in September (damn our social security numbers!). We have agreed that a home theater system (or something approximating one) would be nice to have in our entertainment center.
My brother-in-law works for Yamaha Corporation out here in SoCal and has access to practically all of their products. He also has access to Panasonic equipment at great prices too.
My question is this: What specific equipment would you recommend for our home? Keep in mind that we would like to keep it around $700 or so and we're not looking for super-duper sound (neither of us are audiophiles), but would like something that would serve us well and make us seem somewhat knowledgeable.
The entertainment center is currently configured to accept speakers in the bottom left and right hand sides in enclosed cabinet spaces. The area is about 20 inches by 20 inches or so. I cannot expand the center any more as it is opened as far as it will go, so I will not be able to set up the larger stand-up speakers.
Currently, I have a Yamaha DVD player (Model DVD S700). I don't know how good this player is, but we're pretty happy with it.
Our television is a 41-inch Sony KP-41125. We are also satisfied with our set, but looking forward to buying a new one sometime in the future.
Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks in advance.
------------------
Bill the Cat

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bill,
A little more information would be helpful. For instance, I thought you were hoping to by a whole system for $700, until you said you already have a DVD player.
My question is this: What specific equipment would you recommend for our home?
Specifically what are you shopping for, Bill? “Equipment” encompasses processors, amps, receivers, speakers, subs, satellite receivers, VCRs, etc. Help us out here!
By the way, I have a DVD-S700, and I have been very happy with it. It received a rave review in Audio magazine a few years ago for its stellar picture. The unit was built by Panasonic to Yamaha’s specs.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Wayne, for your quick response. I apologize for not including more specific information. Let's see if I can help to clarify things.
I do want to spend about $700 for speakers, receiver, and maybe some other pieces of equipment that would allow me to enjoy the movie experience that much more. I am a neophyte when it comes to electronics and don't know where to begin.
First off, am I going to be able to get a pretty good setup for the money that I have set aside? I don't need a DVD player since I have one, so I imagine that would free up money to spend on other things.
I'm not familiar with satellite receivers or amps, but would be willing to take the plunge if it is worth my while. My television viewing room is not the best for acoustics (or so I've been told), so what options do I have?
I also have no use for a VCR since I already have one and hardly ever use it anyway. The only thing that I ask is for equipment recommendations for Yamaha (or Panasonic) equipment only, please.
I hope I have filled in most of the blanks from my original post.
Thanks.
------------------
Bill the Cat

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
If your interested in Home Theater in a Box, check out this Yamaha package.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242
It is $499.99 at Best Buy so your brother-in-law can probably get it cheaper. The receiver looks to be the Yamaha HTR-5440. I do not own Yamaha equipment so cannot comment on this package, but you can probably go to your nearest Best Buy to hear it (if there is a store near you that is).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I want to spend about $700 for speakers, receiver, and maybe some other pieces of equipment that would allow me to enjoy the movie experience that much more.
That’s a pretty tall order for $700, Bill, even with the “brother-in-law” discount. The receiver will be no problem even without your connections. And it probably won’t be hard to find a decent set of speakers with the change (which I’m guessing will be between $4-500). However, it will be virtually impossible to get a receiver, speakers and a decent sub for $700.
One thing’s for sure: Don’t waste your money on any speakers from Yamaha or Panasonic. Neither makes any speakers for hi-fi or home theater use that are worth having.
It is generally recommended to get a receiver with at least 80-100 watts per channel (unless your room is very small). Yamaha has over 60 receivers listed on their web sight, more than I care to dig through. I recommend posting a thread asking something like, “Which Yamaha receiver (80-100 watts) should I buy?” and see what the Forum members say. After you decide on a receiver, and know how much money you have left, you could do the same thing asking for speaker recommendations for $XX.
I recommend saving your money and buying a nice sub later rather than trying to get a $4-500 speaker-sub set. This way your mains will be of much higher quality. You can get a Adaire Rava sub later for about $400, which may well be all the sub you will ever need.
Or, if you can live with the speakers you have for a while, you might get the sub now.
That’s the nice thing about home theater. Getting one piece at a time as you can afford it will get you a much better system than if you try to squeeze out a lot of gear with a small amount of money.
One thing to keep in mind: The Yamaha RX series is what is sold at the better home theater stores. The HTR series is sold at secondary outlets like Best Buy. I suspect the RX line may be better-built, but I don’t know for sure. Maybe your brother-in-law could find out for you.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne and Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I will probably take your advice Wayne and buy the receiver and speaker components first so that I may ultimately end up with a system that I will be happy with for a long time.
I always suspected that the prepackaged setups with the receiver, speakers, and subwoofers in one box would not necessarily be the best way to go, but I wasn't absolutely sure.
Wayne, you are a font of knowledge and I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain from time-to-time.
Many thanks to you both.
------------------
Bill the Cat

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
If you can expand your budget just a bit, you can get a pretty nice system, since you only need 5.1 speakers and a receiver.
I'd suggest getting a Yamaha RX-V800 from your bro-in-law. If he can get a manufacturer's discount (i.e. like dealer cost or close) you should be able to get it for about $500 or so. It retails for $800. I own the older RX-V995, and I've installed a couple RX-V800's, and the 800's are great receivers for the money.
Then, check out some of the online dealers that are clearing out the Energy Take5 + e:XL-S8 system. The Take5 is four satellites and a center channel, the e:XL-S8 is their very highly rated 8", 100W subwoofer. This can also be had online for around $500 to $550 (Just make sure that the package you're paying for includes the Take5 system AND the sub... they are not always sold together).
The Yamaha RX-V800 and the Take5+sub system would be a GREAT entry level system for under $1100, (assuming you can get the rx-v800 for around $500 from your bro-in-law) if you can swing that, you'll be happy. :)
[edit]I forgot to budget cables for you, though... but then, so did you! :) Decent speaker wire and inconnect cables will run you between $50 and $100 depending on what brand/quality you buy, and how many you need.[/edit]
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page
[Edited last by Kieran Coghlan on July 25, 2001 at 08:59 PM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
regarding wires: stick with stuff from Rat Shack and buy cheap 12 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot. You won't be able to tell the difference, trust me!

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
quote: If he can get a manufacturer's discount (i.e. like dealer cost or close) you should be able to get it for about $500 or so. It retails for $800.[/quote]
I dont work for Yamaha, but i worked for a retail store that carried Yamaha.
I was able to get a 795a for half($400) of what where were selling it for. I had to order it straight from from Yamaha, not a store discount.
Your brother in law oughta be able to at least get 50% off.
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on July 25, 2001 at 09:45 PM]

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
If I was you I would get the best Yamaha receiver that you can for the $700 & buy a really cheap speaker setup for now. Than I would save up for some really good speakers that way you have a GREAT RECEIVER which is the heart of a Home Theater System. You might also want to hold off if you can for a little while because from what I've read Yamaha is redesigning the looks of their lower-priced receivers & maybe you can pick up one of these at a really low price? Maybe they will even add Dolby Pro-logic II to the new ones? Again, go for the BEST Yamaha receiver you can get your hands on with a deal like that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks