What's new

Need Help buying New Systems (1 Viewer)

HanZo

Auditioning
Hi guys/gals. I'm new to this stuff so please bare with me.

I already bought my display which is 57" Sony HDTV and now I'm searching for DVD home theater system. I want to know do I need to buy receiver for a complete systems such as the Sony DVD Dream™ System DAV-FC8 or the Bose LifeStyle 35? What Type of connectors? I saw some of wires selling for $145 CDN (Components Video)

My living room is already pre-wire in the ceiling at the four corners. I want a system that is able to function really well with speakers installed in the ceiling. My budget is $2000 CDN.

Please reply with recommendations.

DVD Player?
Receiver?
Speakers System?
Wires?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
First, you should go read the beginner's FAQ, by no means a complete HT education, but it has many good basic and more advanced questions answered.

In case you missed the link at the top of the HT Basics forum, go here for the FAQ: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=120328

Complete HTiB (Home theater in a box) systems come with their own reciever (although often a pretty cheesy one), their own DVD player (sometimes bundled all into one extra-cheesy DVD player/reciever), and the speakers and "sub" (again, often a very cheesy excuse for a sub). Now, 2K Canadian should still be able to get you a solid system, without having to go the HTIB route. There are more, separate purchases, and a little bit more setup knowledge is needed, but you'll get a MUCH better system this way. Also, I know of no HTIB that come with in-wall/in-cieling speakers. Usually just very small mountable speakers.

So, if you want a FAR better system, and your budget indicates you can accomplish that, then you'll need to buy a DVD player, a reciever, 5 speakers, and a subwoofer.

Since you have an HDTV, you'll want to get a progressive-scan DVD player, and use Component Cables(3 wires) to hook it up to your TV. Any 75-ohm video cable should suffice, $150 sounds quite a bit steep. You can get perfectly adequate component cables at radioshack, or you can order some AR cables, or if you want more extreme cables, you can order custom-made Canare/Belden pro cables online, that will STILL be cheaper than $150 CDN.

Oh, and definitely stay away from Bose, overhyped, overpriced crap that you can equal for 10% of the purchase price usually.

On the reciever front, there are LOTS of good recievers out there for 400-700 dollars (im thinking USD now), from brands like HK, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Onkyo/Integra, Outlaw(internet-only), Yamaha, etc.

Another 200 maybe for a good progressive-scan DVD player, and that leaves probably 1200 or so CDN to spend on speakers, maybe a little more if you spend a little less on your reciever.

Now, since you are in Canada, there are some canadian brands (Paradigm, axiom) that are even BETTER bargains than they are here in the states. Pretty much what we pay in MSRP, is what you pay in MSRP, except you're paying CDN, so quite the bargain indeed. I suggest you go find a paradigm dealer and take a listen, and then listen to as many other brands as you can, and assemble a 5.1 speaker system from there. Just from paradigm, for instance, you can go with smaller bookshelf speakers on stands, or they have a cinema series that is even smaller that you could wall-mount, or you could go with their in-wall speakers, and put those in your wall or cieling. And there are other brands too.

So go do some looking/listening around, try to stay out of the big-box chain type stores, and you should have a very nice system. And of course you can always ask more questions here, or search for info.

HanZo

Auditioning
ChrisWiggles thank you for providing me with so much amount of details. I'm sorry I didn't went to the beginner's FAQ forum. According to you I should stay away from the HTIB and I gladly took your advice. Now all I need is you to give me your recommendations for which components to buy. Let say you're in my situation, what would you buy to setup a decent system for a budget of $2000 CDN.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd say walk into Future Shop .... ask to hear the Harmon Kardon avr225 receiver with the Athena point 5 speaker package.

So far you are your up to aboot(:)) $1350 Canadian.

Add a Panasonic DVDS35K DVD Player for $180($1530)

and an Athena AS-P400 Subwoofer and you're set!!

MSRP is right at the $2000 mark, and you shout be able to get wires and taxes included for not much more...

Brent
The Athena have brackets for mounting on the wall.

HanZo

Auditioning
Brent is the athena subwoofer and speakers comes in different color? I really wanted to match all of the components to my TV color which is Silver. That Sony HTIB is growing on me since it suited my Sony HDTV 57"

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Ask, and yee shall receive

SURE, the sides are black but the fronts are grey and offer a nice contrast.

I think it would look great!!

Brent

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
Hanzo: you watch movie more or listen to music more?
movie is about impact, a good sub is vital. and music is accuracy and front would be important.

i wouldn't worry much about wires. just get at least a #10 awg wires or lower #.

any particular brand you like on receiver, player, speakers?

i have paradigm monitor series speakers and pioneer receivers and player. it's works out fine for me.

speakers and room acoustics are important. make sure these two are taken care off to enjoy a home theater like environment.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
HanZo, whatever you do dont get bose. The sony htib is better, much better and cheaper. But if you are serious about the audio portion of home theater I suggest you try paradigms. They dont come in silver but are decent looking and are great performers. I am also in Canada and you can get paradigms at higher end dealers but they dont cost much more than speakers at big box stores. It is worth a listen.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well first thing is definantly don't get BLOSE! It performs like a low-end sony system. Also, I would probably avoid a Home Theater In a Box if possible as they are usually cheap drivers in a cheap plastic enclosure. One example would be the lower end Sony's I have seen.

My recommendation personally is a Harman/Kardon recicver with Klipsch speakers. Of course speakers are all up to the user.... I like Klipsch because it is a nice bright sound and still retains a nice mid/bass freq. as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks