What's new

Need Help Buying A Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
My wife rolled her eyes but, I believe, was secretly impressed at the sheer size and power of the thing.
Oh, the optimism. I know that belief well. :) I just received 7 new speakers today, two of which are absolutely enormous. You wouldn't believe the amount of eye rolling that occured in this household today.

Hey Matt,

I purchased the Def Tech Pro Sub 100TL Saturday. I wasn't able to listen to the 200TL (the dealer didn't have one on display). I hooked it up yesterday and gave it a try. My system is as follows:

Athena AS-F1 floor-standers for fronts;
Athena AS-B1 bookshelves for rears;
Athena AS-C1 center;
Onkyo TX-SR800 receiver;
listening area measures 12x18 - basement.

I spent some time watching some movie excerpts. I watched Saving Private Ryan (D-Day landing), Star Wars Episode I (pod race), and Jurassic Park (T-Rex) and was very impressed!! I originally had the gain (volume) knob set at 50%, but turned it down to about 40%. On the D-Day landing scene, the floor in the living room directly above the my HT was vibrating (my wife was not happy; she's worried the house will start falling apart). I also watch some of U2's Rattle and Hum DVD and was also impressed with the bass the sub produced.

Keep in mind that this is my first sub. Also, this is out-the-box performance (haven't had time to properly break it in) and I have not been able to either experiment with placement or properly calibrate the sub with the rest of my system. But based on my limited use so far, I think I'm going to be quite pleased. I can't imagine I could find a much better sub at this price ($416).

There are some useful user reviews on Audio Review The Auto On/Off feature works fine with unit I have (using a Y cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks