What's new

Need help buying a new RPTV (1 Viewer)

Ryan*Pr*

Agent
I am moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and now it is time for my first RPTV. I am looking at 55"-57", $2000 or less, and has a top of a least 8" deep to fit my Paradigm CC. The electronics stores I talk to seem to think Hitachi or Mitsubishi would be the best fit for me, but I am open to others. A built in tuner would be nice, but I would rather have a better looking picture (if the direct choice came up between the two). I will use the TV about equally between TV, movies, and gaming.

1) A store I went to today said the new line of Hitachi will not have a deep, smooth top to fit my CC on. I think he said it would be rounded now. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

2) Is there much difference in quality between the model lines in any given size of the same manufacturer (particularly in Hitachi or Mits.)?

3) Do you have a brand/model preference that would work for me (and why :))?

4) Will anything in my specs support 720p?

Any other thoughts would be helpful too!

John S

Senior HTF Member
1. Probably, it is a trend that in general HDTV manufactures seem to not want people putting center channel speakers on top their sets anymore.

2. Not really, these days it is propably more about finding the particular HDTV that provides the picture quality you expect from the sources you use most.

3. In large CRT RPTV's, I still find the most bang for the buck to be found in Philips. The premium brands, usualy have an edge in one area or the other for sure, but they also charge for that. (Not that Philips is really any cheaper, but it seems if searching either online or at the brick and motors, they run even better price points on them on specials, ect..ect..)

4. I believe both manufactures that you listed at least display 720p, even if they upconvert it, at least in the last few years models.

Go see as many as you can, the models you particularly like, try to look at them at multiple brick and mortor stores. Try to see both HDTV and DVD on them at a minimum.

When price searching, really scrutinize the bottom $$$ retailers. In other words check them out as much as possible before ordering.

After see'n the HDTV at 3 different brick and mortors, I decided this was the one for me. So I got online and started searching........
I bought a refurb, 60" Philips, $1248 to my door from electronicsalley.com they assert they are Philips factory authroized, I called Philips, and the Philips phone reps gave them high marks. I have been very very pleased with the product and the buy'n experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks