Need help buying a new DVD player!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshS, Oct 14, 2001.

1. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    I posted last week about a SACD player and decided I would would get more enjoyment out of a new DVD player instead. Here are my thoughts:
    I have a Toshiba 50" tv, not hidef. This tv will stay for a while. My current dvd player is a toshiba 2109 and would like to put that into my living room as my basement is a dedicated theater room. I was looking at spending about $500 - $700 on a new unit. I would like to get a high end unit that would also perform well with music. A reciever and dvd player are the only audio components I want for my basement. Here are the players I was looking at:
    Pioneer Elite dv09 (used)
    Toshiba 9200 (new online @ $700)
    sony 7700 (used)
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Josh

2. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

bump

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Avoid Toshiba! Their players have the worst looking anamorphic downconversion (i.e., sharp picture but loads of artifacts). Sony may be a little too soft for you, but NO artifacts. Panasonic and Pioneer shoot down the middle - few artifacts, but a sharp picture (not as sharp as the Toshiba). It's an "either-or" thing when it comes to anamorphic downconversion, which is the BIGGEST factor when it comes to DVD player picture quality on a large screen TV that doesn't do the anamorphic squeeze.