Need Help Building First PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joshua Clinard, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    It's time for me to build my own PC. I have started looking at cases, motherboards, and processors. Here's what I have so far.

Aspire TurboCase

I'm looking at some motherboards, but haven't been able to find quite what I want. I looked at a few that meet most of my feature requirements, but reviews say the boards were not entirely stable. I'm looking to spend $75 or less on the motherboard, and about 125 on the processor. If anyone can find a mobo that meets these requirements, and has decent reviews, I'd appreciate it.
    • Support for Pentium 4 (or comparable AMD Processor)
    • 4 USB 2.0 Ports
    • Firewire Port
    • Decent On-Board Video
    • AGP slot for upgradability
    • 3 PCI slots

Will use following components from old PC.
    • 40 GB Hard Drive
    • Audio Card
    • 56k Modem

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Here's a link to an Abit board at Newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-172&depa=0

It looks like a really good board. I've been very happy with my new Abit board (slot 775 instead of 478). This board doesn't have a firewire port, but none on Newegg have onboard video and firewire for under $75. I'd recommend picking up a firewire PCI card off Ebay for about $15.

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Thanks for the tip. I prefer to go with hardware that has a high rating. All of the hardware below has an average rating of 5, except for the mouse and case. A freind convinced me to go with AMD, and I am glad he did, because I can get a much better motherboard and processor for the same price. I was looking to spend less then 200 for the mobo and processor, which I am still doing. Since the processor is about 30 dollars less than I would have spent with intel, I can afford to get a much better motherboard The only drawback is it does not have onboard video or firewire. I found a decent video card though.

Here's what I'm looking at now. Let me know what you guys think.