Need help building custom box for Polk speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JohanD, Jun 12, 2003.

1. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Ok..

The down and ditry.

Speakers
    Polk Audio ex2560 6 1/2" component speakers
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=ex2560

Will be Hooked to this receiver:
    Sherwood RD-6108

Need internal dimensions for a speaker box along with some other details..

First.. I know these are car speakers... I received them for a birthday gift.. they would have completed my car audio system.. which unfortunatly about two weeks prior to my birthday got stolen..
    I'm going to hook them up for home use since as I have given up on messing with my car anymore..

This will be a poor mans HT, but should sound better than TV's built in speakers [​IMG] Also can use this with the $2 denon 5 disc changer I got at a garage sale the other day..http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144348

Please let me know what you guys would reccommend as an enclosure for this set.. and if I need a low pass filter to keep those 6.5's from getting too low a frequency.. Thanks!

2. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Anyone? Should this be moved to DIY?

3. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    To make it sound right, you're gonna need to get the Theile/Small specs from polk for those speakers first. That way you can build the right cabinet for them. Write a letter to Polk asking for them. Once you have them, you'll want to find some software that'll generate you the cabinet dimensions. I take it that the crossover is already included?

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Lees got you going in the needed direction..
    Once you get those you can at least find the optimum cabinet size. If you write them and explain the situation, they may very well respond with the necessary information you need.
    You may not even have to sim it.

Once you have that information:
    It may fall (cabinet size needed) into one of the new very nice looking pre-built, (choice of real wood veneered cabinets) www.PartsExpesss.com is now carrying.
    A cabinet of this quality is well worth every penny.
    Unless you are privy to a shop full of tools & have allot wood work experience, you can not build a cabinet of equal quality for the money. Darn hard anyway at their price....

Regards
    Geoff

5. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Just as a follow up... I was unable to get any T/S parameters from Polk.. they refused to disclose any information outside of what is on their website already..

I put together a quick something and it sounds like it has a good high end.. but the low/mid bass is pretty weak..

It is in a rectangular box with no back on it currently. Polk said if you did a sealed/vented box it may impede performance as being a car speaker it was meant for infinite baffle..

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Put a back on it, temporary of some type, make it so you can open a little bit of it at a time. I am sure this will sound better than t dose now for sure. Certainly not the optimal set up for the speakers but better than what your running.

IB for them in components sets, meaning the large mid/bass bas driver meant for doors/decks/etc, in cars and trucks. Not a true IB, but a large air volume behind the driver.

Try it, what have you got to loose...

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Infinte baffle means the front wave is still separate from the back wave, which you won't get with a box with not back. Without parameters, you can guess somewhere around 1 cubic ft or less, in a sealed box (rectangular, not square) and stuff it generously with polyfil.

8. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Wow quick response.

Yeah I think I will place a back on the box just to see how they sound.. if it's better i'll leave it on.. if it's worse i'll take it back off..