What's new

Need help.....best pair of dipoles for the $ (1 Viewer)

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good pair of dipole speakers for a good price.I am kind of on a budget and probably don't want to spend more than $400 for the pair.Any info would be great.:)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You might wanna check out the Fluance Bipole surround speakers. You could pick them up for $80, then re-wire one side out of phase, making it a di-pole configuration. This is how many more expensive switchable dipole/bipole speakers work.

In a bipole setup, both sides are in phase, and therefore PUSHING the air. In a dipole setup, one side of the speaker is in phase, and the other is out, making one side PUSH the air, and the other side PULL the air. This does cancel some volume at certain frequincies, but gives a more diffused and less directional sound, and is therefore great for surrounds and back surrounds if you're using a back wall placement.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Most people would tell you to try to match with your fronts, still others might ask "why dipoles?" in an era of little-used pro-logic (I)......
I am curious about the room and placement and rcvr, etc.....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Definitely the first question is what are your mains. The rears don't need to be identically matched, but they should be similar in timbre at least, otherwise they could become distracting.

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I have floor standing mains with two 6 1/2 woofers and 1" titanium dome tweeter.
Buy.com has a pair of Wharfedale WH-2 bipole speakers for $99.99 a pair but I think these would be better mounted in the rear and I do not have that option(only side mounting).
Link Removed
Could I wire these out of phase and get the same effect as a typical dipole even if it does not have the typical di-pole speaker configuration?The price for these even though they don't match my mains that well is almost too good to pass up.And Wharfedale is a very respectable name.
Hope this helps.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
You can pick up Boston's VRS micro surrounds for about $200/pr. I think the big version is around $400/pr.

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I have MB Quart mains and they don't make a dipole or bipole speaker to my knowledge.I've had my mains since '97 and I really like them so I won't be buying new ones in the near future.

I was using 6 1/2 MB Quart .5 monopole bookshelves for my rears but I have moved into a new home and the back wall is not an option for mounting speakers.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Sound city or J&R (or OneCall) has Atl Tech 350 series THX dipole surround speakers with pedestals for about $250-$300.

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
I have four Atlantic Technology CT2SR Dipole Speakers which
I used for my rear soundstage (they are for sale, EMAIL me
if your are interested). Check SoundCity.Com for specs:
http://soundcity.com/product.php?id1...&product_id=37
I have tried four monopole speakers in the rear soundstage
and the results were too localized for movies. Two dipoles on the sides and two bipoles in the rear center was O.K.,
but not as ambient as four dipole speakers. Check Atlantic
Technologys Website on speaker placement:
http://www.atlantictechnology.com/interactive_room2.htm

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I am still curious if you could wire a bipole speaker out of phase and get similar results like that of a dipole?The Wharfedale speakers are well within my budget and seem to match my mains better than most of the others mentioned.

Also,is there any set configuration for a dipole speaker or can there be different types,for example;do you have to have two tweeters firing along the sides and a single woofer firing out,or can you have a woofer and a tweeter each firing along the sides with nothing firing outward.Or,does it just have to do with them being wired out of phase?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks