NEED help ASAP, resistor color codes????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Sep 28, 2001.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I just got 2 resistors for an amp I got to power my sub, and I don't know how to tell which is which.
    1. is a 33k OHM (1/2 watt)
    2. is a 220k OHM (1/4 watt)
    resistor color code
    -red-red-yellow-silver(?)
    -orange-orange-orange-brown(?)
    I can't tell the last color very well on each, but that is what I can come up with, any ideas?? I wanted to do it tonight--THANX!! I will be waiting be the computer for a reply

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Red is 2, so that's 220k, so the orange, orange is the 33, but the watts should have given it away, because the 1/2 watt is (in theory) twice the size of a 1/4.
    Have fun!
    Glenn

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

interesting, since the 33 is the 1/2 watt, and is actually the slightly smaller (and smaller diameter posts) than the 220k (1/4 watt). Maybe i am remembering those watt figures back words, but all that really matters is that I NOW know what the 33 is (orange) and the 220 is (red-red). AM I RIGHT??

4. Scott Sargent

Scott Sargent Auditioning

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Interesting. (The whole resister knowledge I picked up over 30 years ago came rushing back). The 4th digit is the tolerance. gold (5%) being better than silver (10%), but some are blank. Anyway, I was wondering if they gave you the wrong ones.
    Can't remember how big a 1/4 or 1/2 watt is, so someone else should chime in here, but they were mostly hunks of carbon. I just wouldn't want to put the 1/4 watt in a place where the 1/2 watt should be.
    Glenn

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Wouldn't it have been easier to search the web instead of posting here and waiting for asn answer???!!!!
    --
    Holadem

7. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Here is my favorite resource for resistors. In addition to the standard color code, it shows displays of the complete E12 and E24 series, along with the alphanumeric conventions for SIL and SMD resistors.
    lalena.com/audio/electronics/color/

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Holadem, NOPE, look at the time I posted, and how long it took to get a reply, I was actually looking for links while I was waiting for some NICE person to share some knowledge, and sure enough, they did. THANX GUYS!!!