What's new

Need help, Annapolis to Easton MD w/o using Bay Bridge (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm going down to Annapolis to meet a friend for dinner, and then want to go to Easton MD (which is on the other side of the bay). What is the best and fastest way WITHOUT going over that suicidal deathtrap of a Bay Bridge?

Thanks!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Huh? You're going to go WAY out of your way to avoid a few minutes of driving on a perfectly safe bridge? I think there may be a Ferry down by Cheaspeake Beach. If not, you're going to drive up & around the top of the Chesapeake Bay (and will still have to cross a bridge)...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
If you're driving at night, you won't even be able to see through that fragile steel mesh bridge deck to the raging baywaters below. :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Acute acrophobia. Normal bridges I can handle, not that one. I can barely handle it crossing as a passenger with my head buried under a jacket, no way can I handle it as a driver

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Realistically there's no quick/easy way from Annapolis to the Eastern Shore, except the bridge. There *may* be a ferry that goes from somewhere around St. Mary's over to St. Michaels, but I've NO clue on where exactly it is, how to get to it, if it's still in service, or how much it costs if it is there. So, if you don't mind taking yourself about 2-3 hours out of the way and spending extra $ on tolls...

From Annapolis go up I97 all the way, and take I895 through the Harbor Tunnel ($1 toll last time I was there); follow that til it merges into 95 on the north side of Baltimore; follow I95 North for 30-some miles until you cross the Susquehanna River -- $4 toll (which is $1.50 higher than the Bay Bridge, by the way; they only just raised that thing this year, and only on the Susquehanna not the Bay Bridge!). Continue on 95N until Exit 100a; get off on 272S. for a couple miles or so, taking that to Rt. 40; get on 40East, follow that a few miles (7-10 miles I think) to 213. Turn right onto 213 South. Follow that road all the way down to Rt. 50, which comes out right across from Chesapeake College; you can then get on 50E to take down to Easton, which is about 10 more miles.

Though I grew up in Maryland, and I've done BaltimoreOcean City many many times, I've never taken that specific route. I know 213 goes all the way from 50 up to and past I95 (but there's no exit on I95 to get onto 213 if memory serves me right, hence the roundabout 272 route).

All I know is, it ain't worth it! $5 in tolls, gobs of extra gas AND time...no way. I personally love the Bay Bridge, but my mom can't stand it. Still, she takes it because, realistically, it's the only real way of getting from the west side from Baltimore on south, to anywhere on the southern part of the Eastern Shore (like OC).

Also...

I'd double-check my directions on Mapquest, if I were you!

Hope that helps!

--

Dana

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
They talked about resurrecting the ferry at Chesapeake Beach, but it never panned out. Without the bridge, you are looking at a LONG ride. I'd suggest breaking this into 2 trips- 1 to Annapolis from your house, the other to Easton on another day.

But hey - they are doing major maintenance on it right now. New paint, re-enforcements, new road coverings. Depending what time/day you are heading across, I may be able to find someone to drive your car over for you, then I could follow and bring them back. Of course... you'd pay the toll !!!! (2.50 ???)

Unfortunately this weekend I'll be in Philly.

Good Luck !!!

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
If you called ahead, at one time they would provide a driver for those unable to drive themselves. I don't know if they still do, though.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
This thread's intrigued me - anyone know a link to a picture or two of this bridge?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
[/quote]But hey - they are doing major maintenance on it right now. New paint, re-enforcements, new road coverings[/quote]

How about lowering it about 250 feet and we'll talk. I refuse to believe that it's only 186ft tall, it's a MINIMUM of 300 at the main suspension part.

Thanks for all the help, I'll inquire into the driving over service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks