1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Again! With AT&T Digital Cable Box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Neighbor just got AT&T's "Digital" cable service & I thought the boxes had a digital audio output? Does AT&T use Dolby Digital Surround Sound & if so what model box should he ask for?
    THIS IS THE BOX HE HAS:
    MOTOROLA
    Back Of Box Reads: STATFONE MODEL SFT 2-C
    JACKS:
    PHONE JACK: No Connection Used
    AUX RCA AUDIO IN L & R: No Connection
    RCA AUDIO/VIDEO OUTPUTS: Audio Only Is Hooked To Receiver
    SPDF: Blank Cover
    DATA PORT: No Connection Used
    S-VIDEO: Blank Cover
    IR CONNECTIONS:
    2 RF IN's: They Are Looped Together
    1 ANTENNA IN: Cable From Outside Is Hooked Up
    1 TV OUT: Hooked To His Tv Set
    Can you tell me which model box he should get & what are the Audio Inputs used for?
    Thanks because I don't known anything about Digital "CABLE" tv & any advice you can give me I'm sure would help him a lot. THANKS[​IMG]

2. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Thanks Dan [​IMG] & I'll tell him to ask for that box that should solve all of his problems.

4. VikP

VikP Auditioning

Motorola also has a 5000 model which is silver in color. It also decodes HDTV.

Vik

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Yeah, but Comcast has to actually offer HDTV in your area for you to get a 5000 or the 2000 with the HD attatchment.
    I just got digital cable installed and the first box had no s-video or digital output at all. Frankly I didn't even know they were supporting digital audio output in the Boston area because their website says no.
    Luckily my box broke almost immediately and I went down to the office the next day to exchange it. Lo and behold, the lady behind the counter came back with a box complete with S-Video, Coax and optical s/pdif. Watching a movie on Showtime right now in DD 5.1.[​IMG]

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Thanks Eric, I'll pass that on to him.[​IMG]

7. Rory

Rory Extra

Hi,
    I've got sort of a related question. I have the DCT 2000 and my cable company is supposed to start broadcasting Dolby enabled programming in the next week or two.

My question is this:

I have the SPDIF digital coax out going to the digital coax in of my Denon 2802 and the analog outs of the cable box going to the TV/DBS in's of the Denon. Just like it's supposed to be hooked up.

Why is the volume of the channels below 100 (non digital) controlled by the cable box and channels above 100 (digital) controlled by the Denon?

I'd like to be able to use the cable box remote to control the volume for all channels. But when watching digital channels it doesn't work and I have to use the master volume of the Denon. If I switch the Denon to analog for all channels then they're all contolled by the cable remote, but the digital channels are broadcast analog. If I set the Denon to auto, then I've got the volume problem.

I can't switch between analog and digital channels without prior "preparation", it drives my wife crazy. What do I do?

Thanks

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Rory, I'm just taking a guess on this but I would say the Analog Audio Outputs on the box are "Variable" Audio outputs & the "Digital" Audio Outputs are "FIXED" Audio Outputs. Maybe someone else can come up with a way to solve your problem but my suggestion would be to set it for "Analog Audio" only & the receiver to Dolby Pro-logic II "Movies" That way it's not going to drive your wife crazy & she can use the cable box remote for all channels & when you are using the box yourself to set it to "Digital Audio" for the Digital Channels. I know it's a pain but that's all I can think of off hand & I'll have to keep that in mind when I help set up my neighbor's system. I can also hear his wife screaming now [​IMG] but maybe someone will post a work around solution for it, which I would also like to hear about. Thanks for all the replies guys.

9. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Yes, I have the DCT-2224 and there is a definate volume issue between analog and digital channels on digital output. It's alot louder on some stations than on others. The only thing you can do is ask your cable company to adjust it.

First off, go into the menu/box setup and turn off compression. It's defaulted to "heavy". Lol. Make sure volume is auto set to optimal for "stereo". Now leave the volume controls on the box be. There's no need to mess with it.

Other than that there isn't much you can do. I have a feature called "intellivolume" on my Onkyo receiver which lets me "equalize" all the volume inputs somewhat, but it doesn't when the volume varies so much on the same input.

Hell, I'm just glad I have surround (albeit with some dropouts).

10. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

a) I waited a year for a box from ATT Broadband with the S-VHS and digital audio connections. I just stopped by my local cable office once a month or so and asked. Finally, last week, I got lucky and traded in by digital box for one with S-VHS output, coax digital out, and optical out. The lady refered to it as "oh...you mean the Dolby box"?

After setting the receiver inputs to accept the digital signal, it works great. HBO broadcasts 5.1 Dolby Digital. Much to my surprise, the sound (dynamic range and Pro Logic performance) is significantly better on ALL channels, including the analog channels. I'm not entirely sure why this should be the case, but there is no doubt that the surround performance and decoding of network analog channels is very impressive and much better than using the analog audio inputs.

b) On controlling the volume. There is a volume "punch-thru" feature on the cable box remote control. This setting determines whether the volume button control the volume of the cable box or the TV/Surround Receiver. You have to set this to NOT control the volume of the cable box.

c) Setting the compression to OFF is going to provide full dynamic range and the best possible sound. However, it will give you a noticeable volume difference between analog and digital channels -- I believe that the Motorola box has not implemented the Dolby Digital compression feature properly. They are supposed to apply a 10 dB volume boost along with the no compression mode. I don't think this adjustment is implemented. It's just something you have to live with. While you are in the Advanced Settings menu on the cable box, also set the Stereo setting to Matrix Stereo.