Need help/advise with my Wall unit

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brad E, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Hi everybody this is my first post and I've already learned a LOT just reading the last couple days.

Starting soon, hopefully within a month I will be begin construction of my wall unit. Here's a link so you can see exactly what I plan on building. You have to paste this into your browser because I don't have permission to post links yet.
    www3.telus.net/public/braiot/Wall-unit.jpg

That is a 65" Hitachi in the middle to give a good visual on what the actual size is going to be.

Here is the thing I've been concerned about. I've heard that the speakers, when placed too close to the TV, can interfere causing picture problems.
    Mainly I'm worried about the location of my center and sub.
    Do you think these will interfere with my TV at all?
    What should I do to prevent this?

Secondly I'm looking for opinions on an audio system. The only thing I have so far is the TV.
    The Room is 7'9" high x 13'3" wide x 30' long. Only one exit blocked by a door.
    I'm looking to spend around $5000.00.
    I don't have any brand preferrece as this is a first for me.
    The only thing I do want is matching speakers all around.
    Thanks for any insight you can give.
    Brad

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

What center speaker?

Most are magnetically shielded, so it should't make a difference. In addition, what technology does the Hitachi use? Small Magnets that high above the set won't have as much affect on most rear projection sets (as they do for direct view crt)-- and shouldnt have any effect on LCD or DLP technology based sets.

The sub might be a problem (given if the Hitachi is CRT, the display element is likely down in the bottom of the cabinet), but regardless the sub will probably sound like crap there. Put it in a corner somewhere out of the way- will give you better output and SPL.

I tried basically what you outlined previously, very similar in fact- and it sounded horrible- all the speakers being in a closed area, with no rear breathing room- it just sounded awful. Make sure to test the components you're gonna buy in that environment first, as my stuff sounded horrid.

-vince

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that was my first thought too. generally speaking, speakers always sound better when they're away from walls. mine are probably 18" away ... and i could probably go further.

also, what kind of speakers are you going to get? assuming towers of some sort, you'll have to consider how low the tweeters may be. you want those tweeters at about ear-height in your listening position.

the center speaker should be fine. i don't see any issues with its placement.

the sub will probably sound better in a corner somewhere. also, assuming the sub isn't shielded, it may interfere with the tv's pictue.

of course, aesthetics are imporant too - and i think that's a nice looking unit. my girlfriend would kill to have all my wires hidden from view.

regarding gear, i can definitely tell you, no matter what brand you choose, to go audition as many as you can. this is *especially* true for speakers. make sure you listen to all different sorts and (if possible) bring your own music to listen to.

be sure to read our faq...lots of good info on stuff like this.

4. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I know I'm gonna look like a dope for asking this, but what's a bell?

5. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Bell is the Canadian version of Dish network. I'm a bit of a satellite tester (hacker is such a harsh word) that's why I have so many different receivers.

Thanks for the heads up Vince. I never really thought about the effect the enclosure might have. The unit is 30 inches deep however so hopefully if I pull the speaker as far out as I can it will help a bit.

The wall unit encompasses the entire wall so the location of the sub is very close to the corner. But it is enclosed like you said. I will experiment and see where it sounds best.

I will be selling this house within the year. So this is kind of an experiment and learning experience for me.
    If the sound turns out to be really horrible, at least I don't have to live with it too long. And it will still add a little value to the house.
    That being said I still like to do a good job, so I will research a little more before I start swinging the hammer.
    Thanks.

6. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I almost forgot to add the most important details.
    I bought a bunch of goodies today.

Harman/Kardon AVR7200
    4 JBL ND310II Floorstanding Speakers
    JBL PB12 Powered Subwoofer

All I need now is the center speaker.
    Since I won't have my basement finished for another couple months, all this is going to be upstairs.

It's a fairly large room that opens to the kitchen, upstairs and downstairs. Plus the ceiling is 12'6" high.
    Although it's not an ideal environment, I'm hoping I went big enough to adequately 'fill' the room.
    Thanks,
    Brad