Need help/advice with built-in speakers...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by king, Sep 9, 2006.

1. king

king Stunt Coordinator

I have two long vertical cut-outs in the wall - on either side of the screen. The dimentions are approx 5' high x 1.5' wide. My speakers will sit in these sections behind the wall.

I am looking for ideas on how to finish the holes with speaker grill fabric. I could build a rectangular frame and cover it with fabric, but how attractive will that look?? and how to attach it to the wall? I want a clean finish, not a home made look! Any ideas??[​IMG]

Here's a pic of my theater under construction...

[​IMG]

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    If you are going to put up any fabric covered wall panels you could put matching fabric on frames and over the holes with that. You could also use fabric the color of the walls so it blends in better.

3. Liquid Kaos

Liquid Kaos Extra

If you had access from the back, you could build a frame that fits into the slot after the material is stretched over it and stapled on to the back edge of the frame. You could then insert the frame in from the front, having someone use a ruler on the outside to measure a pre-determined lip that goes all the way around (3/8" would look nice) while someone else uses a finishing nailer to attach the frame to the opening from the inside.

Since you do not have access from the back this becomes a bit more complicated to make look good. The only thing I can think of is something that is flush mounted with small screws, but then you will have to add a trim ring on top of that so that it will look professional.

4. Liquid Kaos

Liquid Kaos Extra

Hmm, how about a Poplar 1x1 lip that is mounted on the outside of the wall. You then CAREFULLY slip your covered frame into the whole with a straight edge and use a 1 1/2" finishing nailer from the side of the 1x2 poplar to grab from the edges?