What's new

Need Help/advice on this newbie setup plz.... (1 Viewer)

akash_b

Auditioning
hey lads

im just after some feedback on this home ent setup... basically what u guys think... good or bad

TV: Sony KV-36FS70U 36" WEGA W/Screen

Amp : Sony STR-DB 1070, 6.1ch encoding

Speakers: Sony SA-VE705 satelite speakers+sub

Dvd player:Sony DVP - S536D,5.1ch encoding

as you can see, we;re a bit of a fan for Sony stuff

also whats the best way to hook all these badboys up?

at the mo,ive got:

the speakers going into the amp, and NOT the sub. instead the sub connected to the amp independantly.

the tv connected to the amp with audio L and R gold plated cables, going from the audio out on the tv, to the audio in on the amp

the dvd player connected to the tv through a standard scart,and going into the amp via a digital co-ax, also with JVC audio cables (same as with tv)

sky digibox (not sure if u guys know what this is,cos im from england and alot of these posts seem to be coming from America, BUT the digibox is the digital receivor that decodes digital signals via satellite into a digital quality picture onto my tv) connected to amp via same audio L and R cables.

any comments, suggestions, advice??

methinks for some reason that the dvd player is connected wrong, coz it has 5.1ch decoding outputs on the back, the standard audio L and R outs, digital co-ax and optical connections all on the back. at the mo, im only using the co-ax and the standard audio outs.... is this producing the best results???

cheers guys

akash

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you've got it spot-on.

Some fine points to confirm -

Speakers = "micro" or "small" in the setup...

Sub crossover fully up...

TV audio out "Fixed", so as to eliminate the TV's volume control from the mix.

Enjoy!

(Keep yer pecker up!)

Pecker = Chin in UK speak, right?:b

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Welcome to the forum mate!!! You see, I hail from England also. :)
Anyway, the digital out from your DVD player to the receiver is correct. You would only need the RCA audio (L&R) to connect either to your TV in order to use the TV's speakers for sound when you are not using the "big system".

akash_b

Auditioning
colin

Some fine points to confirm -Speakers = "micro" or "small" in the setup... , Sub crossover fully up... , TV audio out "Fixed", so as to eliminate the TV's volume control from the mix
how and where do i check if these setttings are correct? my amp/receivor have a whole lot of Video In phono connections on the back(yellow colour), right above the audio L and R in's, but my TV nor digibox have corresponding Video Outs to match. is this bad??? is it important to have these video outs on the TV? coz im thinking that from what u are saying that this seems to be a on-screen type of job, using the remote, but i dont have these video connections..

let me know...

and cheers for the VERY prompt replies! seriously, im well impressed!

akash

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
TV audio outs on my sony have the option in the setup menu to be 'fixed' or 'variable'. I have a 27" 'V' series from 1999.

When 'fixed', the volume control is disabled, and the speakers shut off, and the only way to get TV sound is to connect the 'out' jacks on the back to an amp/receiver. There's only one set of 'out' jacks on mine, and they are 'fixed volume out' or 'variable' depending on how they are set up in the tv's on-screen menu.

'Fixed' means they will operate like any other type of red/white outs, like a cd player etc. This is best.

'Variable' means that you can use the tv's own volume control to raise/lower the output fed to an amp by the jacks. Not the best.

You know about the speaker size settings?

My buddy has a new sony rec, and while I was helping him set up his, I noticed 3 size choices for the speakers - Large, Small, and Micro.

Effectively, this is the crossover built into the receiver, and small cuts off the speakers at around 100Hz, and Micro cuts at 200?

I think you should experiment with this. Micro seems to send deep male voices to the sub a bit too much....

Good Luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks