Need headphones that do not disturb others.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

For the past 5-6 months or so I've been using Maxell HP-1000's for my music listening on the bus/subway and at work.

Now today, I got a complaint that surrounding co-workers are disturbed by my music even though I am using headphones. So I guess they are pretty bad at directing the sound only to my ears.

So I need new ones. There are 4 different types of headphones that I know:

1. The earbuds that you put in your ears like earplugs.
    2. "Walkman-Style" headphones that go over the head, resting the speakers on the ears.
    3. "Street-Style" headphnoes that go behind the head.
    4. the "Big Bertha" that totally covers the ears.

Types 1 and 3 are out of the question! I tryed some of those and I hate that!

Does anyone know any brand/model that will not disturb surrounding people?

My requirement are:

- Silent to surrounding people is the most important factor, confort is 2nd.
    - Although "Type-4" (See above) are not really ideal for bus/subway/computer music, I do not mind big ones. If they keep the sound in and have good bass, it's fine.
    - Those "Volume Control" in the middle of the cord are more annoying than useful, so I want a set that doesn't have that.
    - About 30$cdn... But willing to go up to 50$cdn if needed.
    - Should have resonable bass, I know considering the size of the typical headphone driver aAnd the price I'm willing to pay, these can't compete with SVS but something that says "15hz-20khz" in the specs should do.
    - Cord should be long enough to be in a "Laptop-Style" bag that I carry with me in my hands that gets put on the floor when I'm holding on to hand rails in the subway. I find using those "Purse-Like" carrying case around my neck annoying. My current set is 5ft long and it's a little too short (Have to use one of those carry-cases).
    - Sound quality is not that much a factor, it's for listening to a walkman (And eventually a portable MP3/OGG Player) in the bus/subway and listening to 96kbps OGGs on the computer at work.

Anyone have any recommended brand/models?

Thanks.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Only one comes to mind:

Sennheiser HD-280 pro.

Can be found for $70-100 range.
    Has an incredible 20db+ isolation which is more than some ear plugs. The sound quality is excellent for the price.

My friend got his at a local Guitar Center for $74 on sale.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

5. Martin Fontaine

Thanks for the answers, I'll go have a look at Headphones.com after I finish reading HTF tonight...

6. Martin Fontaine

I just bought a pair of Panasonic RP-HT710 I auditioned them in-store and also played some familiar music at home and they sound good to me. According to the salesrep, they are the "Sealed" type like explained on Headphones.com. What I find strange is that there are some holes behind the drivers. I hope these are just for decoration/ventilation because if they are in fact "Ports" then they'll complain about sound coming out of them.

7. Martin Fontaine

The holes were in fact ports, and they could hear my music. So I returned them. I got a pair of JVC HA-G11 instead. And I did test them for sounds around and all and they seem to keep the sound in a lot more. I'll find out when I wear them at work tomorrow.

Sure the Panny sounded better but considering they were much more expensive than I wanted to pay (60$cdn) I think the JVCs are a better buy at 40$cdn. They still sound better than what I had before and hopefully won't disturb the neighbors.

Also the thing is that those holes not only make the music seep into the surroundings but also makes the surrounding sounds (Subway Train, coworkers talking) louder to me making me increase the volume to drown it out. I'll find out how they perform tomorrow.

Also I bought a Angle plug adapter to use them on my portable CD player when it's in my bag.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You need to lower the volume of your headphones. Listening through headphones that loudly will damage your hearing on a permanent basis. Try this experiment: put your headphones on a volume that you listen to and put your home theater SPL meter RIGHT UP to them like your ears usually are when listening. What's the decibel reading? Are you sure you want to subject your ears to that?

Seriously, try to get used to listening at a much lower level, remember the speaker is RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR EARDRUM. It's fairly easy to get used to very low volume levels with headphones, but it takes some time.

9. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Phillip's right. Definitely be careful. And the others are right to point you to Headphone.com, and excellent site. See this bit from their site about volume levels w/ 'phones:

http://headphone.com/layout.php?topi...subTopicID=131

As for specific headphones, my impression is that you can't go wrong with anything that Sennheiser makes. For a a budget purchase that seems to meet all your criteria, also look at the Koss UR-20s. I bought these for work. They're sealed, so no one else will be bothered by your tunes (also means the bass is more prominent). Cord's long enough, etc. $20 US.
    http://headphone.com/layout.php?topi...tID=0020130020

10. Martin Fontaine

The new ones, the JVC HA-G11 are perfect! No one complains. And being that they completly cover my ear, I can set my volume at about half of what it was.

I checked with my SPL Meter and with the volume I usually use when at work, it lurks around the 80dB mark. When I'm on the train, I increase it but again, because these fully cover the ear, not as much as before so I'd guess 85 maybe 90 dB at most.

11. Another VERY satisfied HD280 owner. out of your price range, but they DEFINATELY fit your needs (except $$ [​IMG]). A good investment IMO.