Need headphones - must be comfortable!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Wetzel, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Tim_Wetzel

Tim_Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

I have a Grado SR-80, and I just can't sit and listen to them all day long at work like I want to. So I'm looking for something with the following priorities:
    1. Comfortable for extended periods of listening.
    2. Cost - I'm trying to keep it in the $50-75 range, and even less is better.
    3. Sound quality
    4. Keep most of the sound in (don't bother the guys at the desks beside me).
    Thanks!! [​IMG]
    Tim

2. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a set of headphones from Radio Shack that I've been really happy with. I can't remember the model number, but I spent about $60 on them. The sound quality is good with decent bass and nice highs. The have a fully enclosed earpad that is very comfortable.

There's 0.02 cents for ya........

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Tim, I had the EXACT same problem as you. I bought Grado SR-60's to listen to at work, but I could not keep them on for more than an hour without them hurting my ears.
    I tried SO hard to like them, I mean, I loved the sound, but they were just so uncomfortable.
    Well, I found my savior. The Sennheiser HD-497's. These are great headphones. I keep them on for hours at a time, and they are great! The sound is as good as the Grado's also.
    I would definitely check these out, they are around $50 online.
    I got mine from Amazon for about $50.
    Here is the link to Amazon

4. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

sennheiser HD-280's, great isolation and a killer midrange. They go for ~$70 at newegg.com (trusted dealer, mainly PC parts, but they carry headphones too)

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I always plug the Sony V6...

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I'll give another vote for the Sennheiser HD-497s - I'm listening to them now. The occasionally get to the point where I need to adjust them but they never get uncomfortable. Everyone's head is different of course. They aren't closed though and I have no idea how much sound is being let out. Actually, when I set them down on my desk, I can't hear them so even though they are open, they don't leak out that much at moderate volumes. Of course, they let sound in. Also, they are a bit bulky for portable use (e.g. walking). I'm looking at getting the Sennheiser PX-100s or PX-200s for that purpose. Check out www.headphone.com and www.head-fi.org for plenty of information on headphones.
    cheers,
    --tom

7. Tim_Wetzel

Looks like the HD-280s would be better for listening in close-quarters. I'll take a look around at a few review. Thanks for the replies!! [​IMG]
    Tim

8. Tim_Wetzel

dp [​IMG]

9. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Another vote for the HD 280's. I had them on for much of a recent 4200 mile cross country trek with the wife doing most of the driving. [​IMG] They are very comfortable and sound great even with a little portable CD player.

10. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
  11. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

grados are odd. some people can't get any comfort with them, but I love the fit of my sr-60s (with comfy pads). I've got a larger than normal head too, and these are the most comfy headphones I've found.

my friend found the sr-80's donuts much more comfortable for him, more so than his senn 280 pros.

but it might be worth it to try the soft pads depending on where exactly the discomfort is coming from. You could also try the headband bend.

12. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

i have the sennheiser hd 575 - its great and no problems at all - very comfy and nice fit.

13. Tim_Wetzel

No, I have not upgraded the earpieces. Is there anywhere that sells them cheaper than $10 + $7 shipping?
    Either way I'll probably get new ones for work, because I also like to have a set of cans at home. [​IMG]

14. Tim_Wetzel

15. StephanieM

StephanieM Extra

I too am interested in headphones, though portable ones in particular. My husband bought me a Toshiba SD P2000 portable dvd player that I will use on the train while commuting to work. Do you think the HD-497 or HD-280s will be a good fit for watching DVDs on the portable? Comfort is big issue since I will be wearing them for over an hour. Thanks.

16. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

As an alternative to the Grado replacement pads which cost $10, you can go to Radioshack, and they have their own brand of large replacement headphone pads for about $2.00. I use them for my SR-80's, and they fit perfectly and I find them much more comfortable than the stock Grado pads.

17. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Tim,
    &nbsp &nbsp I don't know about a cheaper place to get the earpieces. Go over to Headwize and check out the headphone modification area and the general forum. That forum is a great resource for headphone Q&A. Here is a list of Grado mods. It looks like there is a Radio Shack part that might work for earpads?

18. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

How bout the best phones for listening to at work through a soundcard and NOT having to hear anyone yakkin around me? right now i have a pair of old HD 250s, but am thinking of improving. are the 280s or 580s that much better?
    thanks. or anything else for that matter. it is very hard to program in matlab and listen to useless jibberish at the same time. also, i imagine "noise-cancelling" headphones are best only for low freq attenuation, not for voices? thanks.

19. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Stephanie,
    The Grados are an open design and therefore not the best for commuting where you might disturb the person sitting next to you. The Senn HD 280's are closed, and very comfortable. The only problem is that they are full sized so there is a geek factor involved with wearing them in public. [​IMG]

20. StephanieM

StephanieM Extra

Hey Russell, do you think the 280s are worth the extra $ over the 497s? At amazon, the 497s are $55 while the 280s are $80. Do you know what the major differences are between the 2 models? Thanks.