Need HD STB by 4/11 for the Masters - What To Get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott DeToffol, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

I've had my Toshiba TW40X81 HDTV for almost a year and have put off buying a HD STB. The Masters are on CBS in HD starting April 11th. I need a STB pronto!

I've read about the DVI stuff, but I consider it mute because I want the MASTERS this year.

So, this is an open question: what would you buy?

I have AT&T cable and broadband, and I don't have a compelling reason to switch to satellite, so I only need OTA right now. I wouldn't mind having satellite capability for the future.

I believe the choices are:

Panasonic TU-HDS20

Samsung SIR-T150 (160 soon?)

Mits HD-400

Toshiba DST-3000

RCA DTC100

Zenith DTV1080 (has had problems)

2. Harry C

Harry C Auditioning

I believe the choices are:

Panasonic TU-HDS20

Samsung SIR-T150 (160 soon?)

Mits HD-400

Toshiba DST-3000

RCA DTC100

Zenith DTV1080 (has had problems)

And the choice is: Samsung T-150 I am getting 10 channels all good quality; four of which are digital with several at a time giving HDTV.

Easy to set up with simple RF wire from OTA - both rabbit ears or RS VU-90XR in up-stairs bedroom.

3. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

Be aware that CBS has not announced that the Masters will be in HD yet. It has been in HD the last two years, so conventional wisdom holds that it will be again this year. However, CBS didn't do any professional football in HD this year after doing most of the AFC playoffs in HD last year. In other words, all bets are off until they announce one way or the other.

As to your original question. I've got the Panasonic TU-HDS20 and have been reasonably happy with it. It pulls in all 5 Seattle digital stations from one antenna location (although a couple of them tend to have drop outs) and has very flexible outputs modes. However, the guide is SLOW and the interface outdated. It also doesn't have a signal strength meter for ATSC so picking up weak DTV signals could be difficult. It works fine as a HD set top box, but I wouldn't want to use it as my primary DirecTV receiver. I believe that they are selling for $500 new and $400 or so open box.

4. Scott DeToffol

I looked at the CBS Sports site and haven't seen anything about it, which scares me. It would be very ironic if they broadcast it two years in a row and then don't AFTER I have a STB.

Anyone have a TitanTV account that could look it up?

5. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

TitanTV only goes out two weeks. However, I will need to see a press release from CBS saying its a go to believe it. The last word that I saw from CBS was "We have not yet confirmed the Masters in HD. However, we are diligently working on an agreement. Stay tuned." This was posted 02/10.

6. Scott DeToffol

GAME ON! According to this thread the Masters will be broadcast in HDTV for the third year. I need an STB! Anyone have an update on the right STB?

7. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

It is confirmed that Master is going to be in HDTV. Read the thread in AVS forum. Also the master commercial in NCAA playoff said it is going to be in HDTV where avialable. I can't wait and I just set up with the Zenith DTV1080 for about a week. To me Zenith is better. They do not have no major problems like other STB unit and have the best picture.

8. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

There has been an annoucement from CBS that the masters will be in HD..

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The samsung unit is the only unit which is made for OTA only...Also I would not worry about DVI, cause if and when some agreement is made it will not effect OTA signals...My guess a compromise of some type of soft encyription method will be reached for PPV events and HBO hd and Showtime hd..

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The $100 manufacturer's rebate on the Samsung SIR-T150 is back! See the following link:
    http://www.samsungusa.com/pdf/sirt.pdf
    With a little online shopping, you should be able to pick up one of these for a little over $400 after rebate. Just do not expect the rebate check to come quickly. I bought my SIR-T150 in late July and did not receive my rebate check until December.

11. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i checked www.pricescan.com and several places have the samsung for $515-525 range, before rebate. www.abtelectronics.com has it for $518 w/free shipping, that makes it $418 shipped, after rebate.

12. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

418 is not a bad price at all...The samsung box is a good unit...

13. Scott DeToffol

Yep, $418 is a good price for the Samsung. I'm thinking I might get the Panasonic for $50 more (abtelectronics) and get the DirectTV capability in case I want it later. Have to decide soon!

14. Scott DeToffol

15. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Scott..

Many of the HD receivers that are also satellite receivers offering rebates are tied to activiting a direct tv account...Same with dish networks HD receivers...It usually will require a 1 year contract.....The samsung unit is not a satellite receiver so nothing would be tied to the 100 dollar rebate they are now offering...

16. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I love my Samsung SIR-T150 and wanted to let you know I had much better luck with my rebate check than Scott. I send it out the first week of Feb and received my check this week (end of March).

Pieter

17. Scott DeToffol

I've decided on the Samsung SIR-T150. Abtelectronics.com has is it for $518 - $100 rebate, no shipping cost, no tax, total = $418. That is by far the best price for any STB I've seen. I called around today and none of the B&M stores would touch that price.

Also, since I don't need DirecTV functionality now, and I want to get a Tivo-type device in the future, I'll eventually switch to DirecTV and get a recording receiver.

So there. Thanks for everyone's help. Game on!

18. Scott DeToffol

It is here (SIR-T150) and its working. Abtelectronics did a great job, recommended.

I can get PBS, CBS, NBC, ABC and UPN. Fox is coming in now, but I have a small antenna. I'm watching Leno now in HDTV.

ONE WEEK until the MASTERS!!!!

19. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Enjoy Scott...Nothing letting having HD for the first time in your own home...

20. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

Scott DeToffol said: