need good subs for 50hz-100hz range... recommendations?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by TimDean, Jan 13, 2006.

1. TimDean

TimDean Extra

Im looking to buy 2 more subs for my home theater system.
    These subs will be receiving a 50hz-120hz signal (low pass 120hz, high pass 50hz, 18db/oct crossovers). They need to sound good in this range, Im not concerned about how they sound below 50hz.
    Im only looking for the speakers themselves, I build my own boxes and have my own amps/crossovers.
    Im open to any ideas. 10"s, 12"s, ported or sealed boxes (although i prefer ported due to increased efficiency, but the peaks might be a problem). I have 1000-2000 watts RMS to play around with.. These will be mono-signals (i wish it was stereo but no.), one sub will be in front right corner of room, one will be in front left corner.
    Lets hear some ideas!?

By the way, I already have my "low sub" system put together, an Avalanche 18" in 17 cube foot box, 70sq inch port, tuned at 16hz with 1100 watts RMS ... this does great from 20hz-45hz, but has very little output above 50hz.. which is the reason im looking to make this second subwoofer system...

What do you think about these Dayton speakers from Parts Express?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-404

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-466

Any and all comments are appreciated!

2. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I think you mean "drivers" -- 'round here, the word "speaker" refers to the whole unit (cabinet, drivers, crossover, inputs, etc.).

Dayton drivers are pretty well regarded. Check Madisound too.

Good luck and happy hunting!

3. TimDean

TimDean Extra

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...20&ctab=1#Tabs

I ordered 2 of those. Im gonna get started with the enclosures now.. [​IMG] Ported at 50hz vs sealed.. hmmm.. only way to know whats best is to try them both!
    I am using a Kicker KX2 Active crossover (with a 120v mod) to split up the sub signals from the receiver.. in case anyone was interested in doing the same thing..

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Its a little late now, but have you considered applying EQ to the Avalanche sub? I know several people have complained about the upper bass output of these, but others have no problems. They really should be good for the whole range up to 120Hz. Seems like it would be easier to try a $100 BFD (which you might decide you need anyway) than to try integrating 3 subs and 2 extra filters.

5. TimDean

TimDean Extra

Can you recommend a decent equalizer, for this purpose? What does BFD stand for?
    I fully plan on doing the 2 sub system setup, however I would still like to know what extra goodies are available if I need to make some tweeks...

My 18" sub box isnt made for the higher bass notes. Its downfiring, 18 cubes internally, slot ported with 70 square inches of port area, and tuned at 17hz. It plays no higher than 50hz, and I think thats due to the huge slot port, as well as the super low tuning frequency. 15hz up to 45hz is absolutely ridiculous, but above that, it sounds very weak. I design and build ported boxes all the time for car stereo (SPL) use, and this is to be expected with this type of a box and port, no matter what sub is being used. Im not too suprised or worried about it.
    Luckily, I already have some extra sealed and ported 12" sub enclosures lying around, so I can test out these new Dayton 12's without any extra work involved [​IMG]

But back to the original question... Whats a decent EQ to look at?

6. Ryan Schnacke

"Can you recommend a decent equalizer, for this purpose? What does BFD stand for?"

You're on the right track. Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Its the right tool for the job.

"this is to be expected with this type of a box and port"

I think you're mistaken about what can be achieved even with very low tuned boxes when they're designed correctly.

There have been enough other folks complaining about their Avalanche's upper bass output that its possible that you're dealing with an issue common to some of the woofers. But there might be other problems. What are the dimensions of the box and port? (Specifically, net internal box volume and internal port dimensions). Have you experimented with subwoofer placement to eliminate room modes? Does your amplifier have any bass boost?

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Take a look at av123.com at their ufw10's. I have two doing just that duty and have a bigger sub doing the bottom feeding. So far very happy with them this way and have had them for about 6 weeks now.

8. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    The Dayton reference 12 "HF" version, not the HO would have been my pick for this application, but even then hard to decide without knowing what box size limitations you might have. There are some very nice 15" drivers that are pretty reasonable which probably would have been ideal for this.

Depending on how loud you like things and the size box you are building, ported might be a good option, but sealed would probably make the integration of the two easier. The Series II woofers are pretty good for the money though.

9. TimDean

TimDean Extra

Thanks for the replies!

I did look at the Dayton Reference HF series, but those are only offered in 4 ohm, whereas I am wanting to have two 8 ohm subs in parallel on my amp, (bridged mono @ 4ohm). Although, one single 12" sub (4 ohm) would be adequate for my room size, but its too late now...
    Subs should be delivered sometime this week.. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Box size is not an issue. This room is dedicated for HT, and there is plenty of space in the front of the room, below the front projection screen. I could do 2 cubes per sub, or up to 10 cubes per sub..

Regarding the BFD.. If needed, it looks like this would work well with my setup, as I can feed two seperate channels into the BFD, one channel for each of my sub systems. Im having a hard time understanding exactly what this unit does, without actually having it here to play with. I assume it can cut or boost individual frequencies, or cut/boost a specified range of frequencies?
    Im also now looking at a Behringer 2-way crossover.... if for some reason my Kicker active 2 way crossover (meant for 12volt car stereo use) wont work, I will give Behringer a try.

Thanks again for the help!

10. Ryan Schnacke

Yes, the BFD is a parametric EQ. You choose a center frequency for boosting or cutting. Then you choose the bandwidth affected, from 1/60th octave to 2 octaves. Then you choose the amount of boost/cut.

The BFD gives you up to 12 boost/cut filters to apply at a time, so it is very flexible.