What's new

need good, reasonably priced rum suggestions (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I haven't had a drink in seven years and have no idea whats good. I just want something good, tasty and not expensive. Its mostly for mai-tais and other tropical drinks.

jeremy

If you're going to be mixing drinks of that type, buy yourself a bottle of Bacardi Gold. That should do just fine with tropical drinks, as far as I know.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I can satisfy 2.5 of your criteria by reccomending Crown Royal. It is very good, very tasty, and while it is expensive it carries such a kick that less booze equals more buzz.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

If you are going to be making Mai Tais then you will need two kinds of rum...a light rum such as Bacardi and a dark rum, I suggest Myers. If you really want something tropical then I would replace the Bacardi with Malibu (a coconut flavored rum). All of these are fairly inexpensive choices.

Great Mai Tai recipe (I'm a licensed bartender trapped in the high tech world):

- 1 oz. light Rum (Bacardi or Malibu)

- 1/2 oz. Crème de Almond

- 1/2 oz. Triple Sec

- Equal parts sour mix (make your own if you are having a party...it will taste much better) and pineapple juice.

- Top off with 1/2 oz. of dark rum (Myers)

To make this a Zombie instead of a Mai Tai replace the pineapple juice with orange juice and replace the Myers rum with Bacardi 151.

Recipe for Sour mix (to be used as margarita mix, sour mix and regular daiquiri mix):

- 4 cups fresh lemon juice

- 4 cups fresh lime juice

- 1 cup simple syrup (2 cups water boiled with one cup sugar to a 1 cup reduction)

Thanks,

Jeff

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm partial to the Captain Morgan's special reserve spiced rum. It's great "on the rocks" or as a mixer.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
A good rum cocktail is, of course, the Bacardi:

2 oz Bacardi Light rum

1 oz Lemon juice

1 dash Grenadine

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Strong, but rewarding.

While we're on the topics of drinks, allow me to add my personal creation. I made this one up at one of our college dorm parties (we had common areas shared by 4 bedrooms).

Sunset on Endor:

1 oz Southern Comfort

1 oz Gin (Bombay Sapphire, please)

1 oz Vodka (Stoli, baby)

1 oz Triple Sec

1 oz Amaretto

2 oz Orange Juice

Mix over ice and then add a dash of grenadine for the "sunset effect".

SteveA

Supporting Actor
A very good ultra-cheap rum is Bowman's. Only slightly more expensive than Aristocrat (awful), but not bad!

Brad_V

Second Unit
I'm telling ya, if you want something that tastes good, check these:

Pretty much anything with Midori in it. Midori and sour is easy to make and is very good. Amaretto and sour isn't bad, either. Nothing beats Midori, though. That's why it costs $17+ a bottle. BUT, you can substitute for the very cheap "Melon liquor."

Killer Koolaid: midori (melon liquor) and amaretto, and then cranberry juice.

Ecto Cooler: Lime vodka, lemonade, and a splash of 7-up or similar.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but give them a try sometime. If it wasn't for the above, (mainly midori and lime vodka), I never would have started drinking at all.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
"good, reasonably priced rum"

I'd have to give a hearty recommendation to Mount Gay. Usually about $1.00 more than Bacardi, it's a dark, very smooth rum that is kind of similar to Captain Morgan, but better in my opinion. TF

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Mmmm, spiced rum, yum. I'll second Morgan's but haven't ever had Mount Gay.
As for Malibu... it's all a scam!!! Yeah it tastes good, if you like suntan lotion, but it has very little alcohol! Look at the label, it's only 40 proof, which means 20% alcohol, which means HALF of standard liquor. The stuff is only slightly more strong than standard wine. They is rippin' you all off! If you must have coconut in your drink, get coco lopez or some other flavoring, because to drink half strength liquor is to drink half assed! ;)
Post not intended as a slam against lovers of Malibu, but just as an infomative expose. No offense meant towards Malibu drinkers... who are all a bunch of big weinies. :D

I personally like Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum. Another good rum that I like is Appleton from Jamaica. I am not sure if they import it or not. (There is a company in Louisville, KY that does) I brought back a little from my wedding/honeymoon. I should have brought back more.

Andy

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Mount Gay is usually not considered a "spiced rum". While it does have a unique flavor (which I thoroughly enjoy), it does not have the prominent vanilla/spice tastes of Capt Morgan.

Myers is an excellent addition to fruity drinks like Mai Tais because it adds quite a punch in flavor and cuts the sweetness. However, it is high in price compared to other mid-shelf brands.

For fruity drinks at parties, I use any low cost gold rum as the main ingredient, then float some Myers and/or Bacardi 151 on top. Since the fruit masks a lot of the rum flavor, no sense wasting expensive rum on these drunk folks staggering through your bushes. Keep that for the good drinks after the party ends !

Myers, Goslings or Bacardi Select over ice with a big old wedge of lime... Nothin' better !

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I also like Captain Morgan. It's not a very expensive rum, but it has a good flavor. For a Mai Tai, however, Bacardi light rum and Myers dark rum is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks