Need good magnetically shielded speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Yohan Pamudji, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Ok, so magnetic shielding isn't the sexiest criterion for speakers--I know. I need them though to go in my bedroom system right next to a TV set, so magnetic shielding is a must. I discovered, to my dismay, that my Paradigm Studio 20s that I had planned to use are not shielded. It's speaker shopping time [​IMG] Keep in mind I'll be driving them with a Marantz SR-7000 receiver (100Wpc I think), and we will use them primarily for TV and movies.

Must-haves:
    • magnetic shielding
    • sub-$1000 price tag (the lower the better)
    • available for purchase online

Preferences (from highest to lowest priority):
    • neutral to warm sound, yet detailed
    • floorstanding
    • decent bass response (30's Hz range) because a sub is not in the picture right now
    • small footprint
    • selection of finishes (real wood or laminate will do)
    • aesthetically pleasing (WAF)

The only reason a floorstanding speaker is an option at all is because my wife has admitted to being spoiled with the sound in our main system (Paradigm Studio setup), and said that she thought something was wrong with the new bedroom TV we bought because it didn't sound good [​IMG] However, I'm not pushing my luck. If it were up to me I couldn't care less how big or what color the speakers were as long as they sounded good, but since my wife has been so accomodating I figured I'd meet her half way.

So far I've only found Swan Divas to meet all my criteria. Any and all suggestions and ideas are most welcome.

2. Yohan Pamudji

Anyone?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can get Studios shielded, only you can only get them in black and they typically have to be special ordered.

I use Mordaunt Short 902s, and I have compared them to the Studio 20. They lack some extension and oomph, but they sound clearer in the midrange compared to the 20s and are definitely on the neutral side despite all aluminum drivers. Only good to 55Hz though, but I have not felt the need for a sub with them in my bedroom. The 904 is a small footprint floorstanding version of the 902 and is on sale for $229 from www.ac4l.com right now, in black and cherry veneer. High WAF usually with these guys too.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Why not just head to Parts Express and purchase some bucking magnets to attach to the magnet on your drivers? This would essentially make your current speakers shielded speakers.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Will there be room inside the cabinet? Many speakers, and certainly the Studios, use internal bracing that may not allow the use of a bucking magnet.

6. Yohan Pamudji

Wayne,
    The Studio 20s are now pretty much out of the picture because I've put them back in my 5.1 system where they belong. Now that I have 5.1 sound again I really don't want to go back to 3.1 (left, right, center, and sub), so the bucking magnet idea won't work. However, your suggestion got me interested in trying it out, and I may just buy some bucking magnets and test them because I'm curious now and they are really cheap.

John,
    The Mordaunt Short 904s you suggested look like they would do the trick--shielded, just the sound characteristics I'm looking for, great price, and very WAF-friendly. I wish I could find a frequency response graph though. The 50 Hz extension is a bit worrisome, as I'd rather not be compelled to buy a separate sub later on.

Great stuff, guys. Anybody else have suggestions?