What's new

Need Gift Ideas for "Adopt-A-Family" (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I know there have been a lot of posts requesting ideas for holiday gifts, but this one is with a twist. I would be so grateful for some gift advice.

At work, we have an Adopt-A-Family program during the holidays. Each department pitches in money for an area family who is disadvantaged. We are given their first names and clothing sizes. This year, our department has a family of four: dad, mom, and two boys (ages 7 and 12).

I am the designated gift buyer this year, and I am stumped. I should add that our department is small, so we only ponied up about $150. Luckily, I'm good at finding bargains. So far, we have a gift certificate to a grocery store and a pack of movie tickets. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what else to get them. What do 7 and 12 year old boys want? I found some inexpensive, really cool remote control cars, but they take a ton of batteries and I am trying to be mindful of the fact that they have a limited income. Good gifts for the parents? For the mom, I was thinking a sweater and some nice body lotion. Don't have a clue for the dad.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
For car/toy items, look at hotwheels stuff. Generally affordable, die-cast type cars/race sets that don't require batteries.. spring powered ;) Our kids love them, highest on their list for Christmas (set of boys).

The grocery gift & movie ticket gift certificates are good items.

For dad, if you have shoe size or pant size, a good pair of slacks or nicer loafers are a good touch; yes, I realize they are disadvantaged, but dressing better does make you feel better. Another suggestion (seriously) but dependant on whether or not the person has a beard ;) Is a set of Mach3 Razor + cartridges. Love it, gift I get often and still love.

Another gift I'd recommend (in general) is one "goofy" gift item/family oriented.. box of chocolates and a board game, or something similar. A good "family inclusive" gift.

SarahG

Second Unit
We are doing something similar and it's tough to come up with good gift ideas because you really want to make sure you have everything covered. I like Chris' ideas. For the boys you could also go the route of action figures, if you know they like something in particular. For the seven year-old you could even go with something like a construction kit like legos. Also, one thing we got a niece and nephew around that age are little toy bed buggs. They are kinda cute. The 12 year old might like something sports related, again, if you can figure out if he like sports and what he likes.

For the mother and father, possibly a gift certificate to home depot or bed bath and beyond, something along those lines so they might be able to get some things for their home. I like the idea of some clothes too and agree that dressing nicely does build confidence. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks