What's new

Need Gapless Playback .mp3 player, NOT iPOD (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

As Christ eluded to in the post right above yours, you can purchase replacement batteries for older model iPods. The third party batteries even come with a tool and instructions on how to replace the battery. This voids your warranty with Apple, but older models will be past their warranty period anyway.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

But are they user replaceable? I don't believe so and that is, to me, the one flaw in the iPod. I recently bought a new Nano and since it has no moving parts, I expect it to last a very long time but a rechargeable battery will eventually die. I shouldn't have to replace the Nano or send it in for battery replacement when that happens. It may be easier and cheaper to manufacture the iPod by completely sealing the unit and maybe the core iPod demographic is used to just tossing something away when it dies or something newer comes out. Guess I'm just old school.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's designed to be user replacable. Unhinge the unit through means not approved of by the company, thus voiding all of your warranty. The instructions:

http://www.ipodbattery.com/slimipodinstall.htm

Involve unsealing it, unwrapping cables, etc. Which is not necessarily very user friendly.

I see the debate above, and I love my Ipod Video 60G. Wouldn't trade it. But, when I want something small, I get the argument for using double A batteries. I know Matt has his preference and I've played with that Zen. It's pretty slick. But I don't think it's what I'm after. But I do see the point of those who make that arguement. That little Zen gets FM radio, does voice recording, etc. etc. and those things are damn cheap.

I've never had a problem with my Ipod battery. I admit, since I got SIRIUS, I don't listen as much :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
No one ever said it was user friendly, just user replaceable. For most people, I imagine that the need for a battery replacement won't occur for more than a year, and iPods only have a one-year warranty.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
My Ipod Video is over a year old. If it only lasted a year and the battery died, considering how much I paid, I'd be pretty pissed.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
From the way you're saying it, it sounds like you would just toss the iPod instead of going through the trouble of getting the battery replaced, which you don't have to do yourself, but you certainly have that option. I don't understand why you would get pissed about a battery dying. It can only be recharged so many times, but only heavy users should have the problem of having to replace the battery every year. I've had a 4G iPod since December 2004 and the battery is still doing pretty well.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
No, I would have it replaced. I'm just saying I do dislike that they don't use something that is standard and can be easily replaced by the user on their own. Can the user replace it, of course. I wouldn't have a big issue replacing it. But to be blunt, it is a hell of a lot more "trick" then just popping in a rechargable doubleA/triple A

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
AAA batteries are 10.5 mm in diameter. The iPod nano is 6.6 mm. That would be a neat trick :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Then again, my 1GB Zen Nano Plus (which also has radio and recording capability) ran me $38. Compared to $149 for a 1GB Nano. oh yeah, and as far as size, it's half as wide, half as long. The fact that it's a little thicker, but cheaper with batteries I can quickly replace.. that's all that matters

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Along with the Nano the Original Ipod Shuffle is also a Very good sounding player. Better than any of the older 5G's I Had. I have a Zen M now and am hoppy with the Sound, and a Cowon A2 for Video, also very good sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks