Need Gapless Playback .mp3 player, NOT iPOD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Diallo B, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

are there any good .mp3 players currently available that utilize gapless playback. i have gone though my fair share of players and the only one that did was my intel .mp3 player that i bought when players first came out. (by the way i think that the ipod is based on that player)

i have been doing all kinds of research but that is not a spec that is easily identifiable. so i would appreciate any input from anyone with any practical experience.

I am not particularly interested in an ipod (OR MORE SPECIFICALLY NOT INTERESTED IN iTUNES IN ANY VERSION 7 OR OTHERWISE), but if i have to 'settle' for one then such is life.

i will be using it primarily for working out, so i don't need anything that has massive storage.

thanks for any help....

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

From what I've seen lately, the iPod is the only MP3 player on the market that offers gapless playback. Are you anti-Apple or anti-iTunes? There are alternatives to iTunes when it comes to transferring music to and from the iPod, although I'm not sure if they're compatible with the latest iPod.

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

I am anti-itunes.

i thought that itunes was the only way to put music on an ipod. what are the alternatives?

thx.

4. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Anapod is another way to transfer songs to and from your iPod.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

ephPod is one I've tried, but I went back to iTunes because I like the interface better. I understand if you don't like iTunes because it's a resource hog, is that why you don't like it? Or is it something else?

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

it is definitely about the resource issue. but there are other things as well. i really like wmp's interface. itunes does not seem anywhere near as intuitive.

i am going to buy something this weekend as a birthday gift to myself. i am leaning toward an 8 gig nano with all of its rave reviews. but i wanted some alternatives so i could at least use wmp.

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It seems like the "gapless playback analysis" is performed or at least initiated by iTunes. Not sure how it all ties together, or if third-party programs can do the same.

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

For gapless, you could try the Rockbox firmware on your iPod. Not sure where in the development stage they're at though. Or you could pick any of the other supported makes/models. www.rockbox.org

You didn't say what platform you use but for Windows, MediaMonkey is pretty good for organizing your music and it synchronizes with iPod.

9. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Shoot, I haven't messed around with Rockbox since I had an Archos Recorder 20. That was my first MP3 player ever!

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    is itunes a resource hog, and i never noticed?

CJ

11. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

love is blind.. [​IMG]

compared to a music player like foobar itunes uses more resources. I don't think its totally ready yet but there is an itunes twin that was built from the mozilla open source. http://www.songbirdnest.com/

12. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

mediamonkey and sveta transfer to ipods as well.

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    [​IMG]
    i like itunes as an organizational tool, but i hate it as a media player. i never noticed it as a resource hog, but i suppose my overpowered computer is to blame there.

if this sognbird program can do all that itunes can do, all linux native, i'm sold. i'll keep an eye on it for the future.

CJ

14. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

my computing power is fine.

i just hate how software nowadays attempts to take over every task that it 'thinks' it is capable of doing.

i have itunes on one of my spare laptops for a motorola slvr cellphone and it is just terrible.

it is slow, not intuitive, and just undesirable. i am going to buy my new player today. hopefully the software mentioned will be 'desirable.'

15. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

well, i bought the 8 gig nano (black) over the weekend and holy cow!

i have had different .mp3 players since they have been available. Not one of my previous players comes close to sounding as good as this does. And i mean NOT CLOSE. when i first heard some of the songs that i had transferred via iTunes (more on that later) i had to go back and listen to my old players to make sure that i wasn't crazy.

the sound and clarity of this device is nothing short of extraordinary. Now i am not saying that this sounds as good as my HT receiver with multiple burr brown proc's or my car audio system but i could listen to this on an everyday basis and not feel as tough i am missing anything.

on top of all of that i am not even using the supplied ear buds. i don't like having anything in my ears. since i primarily use this for working out i have some generic ear clip style headphones. i can't even imagine how good this might sound with some decent headphones.

for anyone on the fence, this device is the truth. hearing is believing.

now for the not so good.

iTunes sucks. period. it is not intuitive at all. it is difficult to manuever around. it is slow as all get out. creating and managing playlists is harder than it needs to be. and it is always trying to get me to buy something. (major turn off)

I am going to do my research and attempt to use this for a week more. if i do not come up with a better way of using iTunes then i will attempt to use some of the other software mentioned here.

i am 90 percent happy with this purchase. i wish that it just came with better headphones and better software.

16. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

oh, and one more thing.

the gapless playback works as advertised with one minor caveat.

if you rip a cd to iTunes the gapless works with no issues and no abnormalities.

BUT, if you import files to iTunes and attempt to run it gapless there will be a small audible click between tracks.

my workaround for albums that i do not have a physical cd for is to burn a cd on a cd-rw using nero to make it gapless and then rip that cd-rw to iTunes.

17. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I would also second the nano. My wife has the Ipod and I gave up an Ipod for the Nano. The performance is incredible, and here's the biggest perk over Ipods: freaking REGULAR DAMN batteries. Get a set of rechargable batteries and you're cool rather then the inbuilt obsolescence of the Ipod.

18. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK

Actually the Nano (a.k.a. the iPod Nano) doesn't use "REGULAR DAMN" batteries. But at 24+ hours per charge, I'm more than willing to live with the "inbuilt obsolescence." I know...it's a terrible sacrifice. [​IMG]

19. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i consider an internal battery a benefit. much cheaper than buying normal batteries, and MUCH more convenient to plug it in than swapping out rechargeable batteries all the time.

you do realize that the ipod's batteries are replaceable, don't you?

CJ

20. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Oh, sorry, I was thinking about the Creative Zen Nano [​IMG]. The 24 hour charge thing is bullocks. It goes down the longer you own the thing. We both had Ipods at the beginning, and bought some of the first generation ones. Now, both of them are sitting in a drawer. They won't take a charge so they have no battery life at all, and so they are basically paperweights.

I've had the NuVO, which has standard double-As, and one set of double-a batteries for almost a year. Recharge the battery at night, move on. And, when that battery dies, I can easily buy more. Plus, if I run out of juice on the road, I can stop at a dollar store and for $1, I can be going again. I will never fear the NuVO turning into something where I have no way to use it. Other features, like Radio, Microphone/audio recorder etc. come in handy.