What's new

Need Front Speakers and a Receiver ... for $400 (1 Viewer)

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm putting together a system for my Mother. I originally looked into HTIB type solutions, but she doesn't want to have to hide wires going to rear speakers, nor does she want a subwoofer taking up space in the room. That said, I'm basically looking for two bookshelf speakers I could mount on the front wall or place on top of a RPTV, and a multichannel receiver in case they decide to install cable runs for rear speakers in the future. I'm working with a budget of $400 FIRM.

She's really just looking for something to enhance the audio quality of TV broadcasts, with some minor HT and music use.

I've done a few quick searches, and it seems like a refurb pair of JBL S26II-Z's and an HK AVR-125Z direct from Harman for a little under $400.

Anyone have better suggestions? What about B&W 303's, or Paradigm Atoms, or other receivers? All help is appreciated.

Nick L

Second Unit
If she doesn't want surround speakers, might be worth a look at a stereo receiver. HK has one for under $200, and I'm sure you could find one cheaper at BB or CC.

As for speakers I would definitely second the 303's or atoms over the JBL's. I really like both of those.
The combination of the H/K stereo receiver and the Paradigm Atoms would make a great stereo only system!

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Here I am agian, promoting fluance. they have lovely speakers for very good prices. they have wicked sound for the price from what I have read. after xmas I will be able to tell you myself. but, there are a couple of speakers there that would work great in your situation. then get a 5 channel reciver with dts and dolby pl2. why? becuase you never know, you might want to add rears and a center for a better sounding ht. Tell your mom that it's easy to hide wires. I have mine all hidden no problem. you dont need to go into the wall to do it or anythign, just be creative.....

If you're comfortable buying floor models, you can get some really good deals on speakers. I grabbed a pair of Paradigm Phantoms (I have a thing for floorstanding speakers) for $200 and I couldn't be happier.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
I'll back up steve...I have Fluance speakers (SX-HTB I believe-ones at price point just above the more talked about AV-HTB's) and I couldnt be happier for the $$$...AV-HTB's + under 200$ receiver & you will have a 5.1 setup...if she doesnt want the center or rears, put 'em away until she possibly MAY want them, or use them yourself for something...
try to convince her to do the whole 5.1 setup...show her the difference with a quick "preview" of the 2 & w/ any luck she will see the amazing difference...

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of Paradigm Titans that are in excellent condition and sound perfect if interested. They are black ash and I'd take $165 shipped. They are version 2's. Let me know. thanks

Jason

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Are the Titans magnetically shielded speakers? I just realized that these will probably be placed on top of a RPTV for aesthetic reasons.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
If they are on top of an RPTV, they won't need to be shielded (nearly all of the time this is true) someone correct me if I'm wrong. If they would sit on a direct view set, then they would. Just an FYI.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks