What's new

Need for Speed2 Xbox A Sloppy Excuse (1 Viewer)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
It seems that despite the hundreds of GameCube and Xbox previews across the net, and the news updates on Xbox and GameCube sites, that Burnout 2 wasn't ever slated for release on Xbox or GameCube.
I thought the first one sucked anyway, so I could care less if the new one doesn't appear on the Xbox. Those friggin crash replays got old after 15 minutes of game time.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Burnout 2 is a huge improvement over the first one, Rick. It's a shame it's not being ported after all - it's a really good game.

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I must be in the minority here since I don't own an XBox or PS2. I'm a PC gamer and I loved NFS3:HP when it came out. However, after upgrading to Win2k, I have not been able to get the old version to run on my system. So I'm debating getting the sequel for my computer.

Has anyone picked up the PC version? Gamespot basical did a search & replace on their Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 review so there is no information that I consider specific to the PC. The review makes the PC version sound awful. Any advice?

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm impatient. I went and bought the PC version. I've been playing it for a few days (maybe a week) and I can say this: WOOOHAA!!!

I will say this: the replay system sucks, and it apparently is just like the XBox version is reported to be. Hopefully, it will be fixed with a patch (hey, neat benefit to being a PC gamer, eh?)

But the gameplay rocks! Courses are much longer than I expected, I love the point requirement to unlock cars and the models are pretty good. Getting spun by the cops is frustrating until you realize you can do the same back to them.

Yeah, it could be a better game. But I like it!

EdR

Second Unit
I thought the first one sucked anyway, so I could care less if the new one doesn't appear on the Xbox. Those friggin crash replays got old after 15 minutes of game time.
I tried Burnout2, but was thoroughly underwhelmed by it. They have sacrificed all semblance of actual physics in exchange for flashy crashes (which are undeniably cool). The cars handle like helium baloons. It feels like you're driving toy cars through miniature cities. Not my cup of tea.

NFS:HP2 isn't exactly a sim, but the gameplay is unbelievably fun.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
But the same could be said for just about any arcade racer out there in regards to the physics... I couldn't care less about that as long as it's FUN... which I thought Burnout 2 definitely is IMO. If I want realistic physics I'll pop GT3 instead, but for a pick up and play racer I found it to be ideal.

EdR

Second Unit
But the same could be said for just about any arcade racer out there in regards to the physics..
This is true, but for me the game needs to at least resemble driving beyond the pixels that describe a car and a road, but IMO Burnout 2 barely qualifies as a driving game.
If it was set in space, where you dodge other spacecraft, I'd probably like it more...and the physics wouldn't need to change much.
My pickup and play racer of choice is WRC, not a sim, but you do need to brake now and then ;)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The cars handle like helium baloons. It feels like you're driving toy cars through miniature cities. Not my cup of tea.
Then by all means avoid San Francisco Rush 2049. :)
(for the record, arcade racers are my cup o tea, except for the insanely difficult Thunder Series)
~j

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've rented the game this week for the Xbox (thanks to Hollywood Video for the 99 cent game rental coupons :emoji_thumbsup: ), and here are some quick impressions. An important disclaimer: these opinions are after less than 2 hours of time spent with the game.
Overall impressions:
- I find this to be a fun game. :) (sorry, let me throw this in to make some of you guys feel more comfortable:

:rolleyes:;) Anyway...now that that's over with...
- This game is not a sloppy port. It's been explained already in this thread that the PS2 version is separate from the Gamecube, Xbox, & PC versions. So, if you have a PS2, then by all means buy that version if you find it to be better than the Xbox version! For the Xbox version, I think it has nice graphics, although not at the top of Xbox games...it isn't shit. The track designs are what I've come to expect from the NFS series & there are lots of nice touches, IMO. While not technically as solid, this game also does not suffer from the drab look of Sega GT, for example. Environments are alive and believable. The game also has some good 5.1 audio & even uses the center channel properly, something a lot of Xbox-only games can't get right. It uses the custom soundtrack feature...all racing games should, but I'm thankful every time a game does.
- This game does have some faults. The frame rate is choppy in the third-person view.
- As a fan of the series since Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, and including Need For Speed: High Stakes, and Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed, this game is the weakest in the series so far. One reason is that the game omits features which the series has had previously:
- The cop A.I. is a step backward. The cops never feel like they are trying to pull you over...they just like to pull along side of you and irritate you by nudging your car repeatedly.
- Customizable replay camera angles/ ability to save replays
- Ability to save & race against your ghost laps
- A dashboard view (a personal pet peeve of mine, very few console games have this, but the Need For Speed series has for years prior to this game)
Anyway, to sum up:
I'm a fan of the series since NFS 3, & while this may be the weakest game that I've played in the series (at least on Xbox, Gamecube, & PC), this is by no means a crap game, IMO.
-Dan
normally not one to stand up for EA games

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks