Need for Speed Xbox 1st review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayKk, Oct 3, 2002.

1. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

This is my 1st review after playing about 3 hours, test was done on a 36" Sony XBR Wega with Sony STR-DA7ES A/V Receiver and Tannoy surround speaker system Mx4 fronts, mXC-M center, Mx3 rears and PS1010 subwoofer, also tested on a 27" sony with just composite hook up.
    1st the Sony 36" XBR450 with component hookup set at 480p
    The XBR450 has been set to neutral un calibrated.
    The graphics on the game just out of the box I would rate at about 7.9 but tweaking the XBR450 I got it up to about 8.7 with more to go (I will be setting TV up properly with AVIA this weekend).
    The game play is very good and the artificial intelligence is excellent and you defiantly must play with a racing wheel (madcatz or what ever) the sound is in 5.1 which is great, you can hear the cars and cops coming up behind and beside you, a good advantage if your being chased by the cops,THERE IS NO SYS LINK just split screen which I think is a bit of a downfall as I personally this split screen is useless.
    The graphics are ok but can be improved on as it is obvious the game is not using as much of the xbox capability's as it should (TV tweaking is a must with this game).
    The tracks are very good and challenging, I cant tell you to much about the cars as I only have driven a few and they seem to be done with good physics to match the current cars I have available.
    If you are a racing freak this is a must get game, it still has the good old Need for Speed trait's in it and you will not get board with it.
    As for the 27" Sony composite hook up the graphic are still good but not great but try tweaking the TV, more to come later.

2. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Stunt Coordinator

How does the car handling in NFS compare to Sega GT 2K2. I must admit, I'm riveted with Sega's super smooth car handling, but I've been a long time fan of the NFS series.
    Also, how does tweaking your TV improve on the graphics' score of a game? [​IMG] I would assume that all scores are based on properly calibrated video and audio sets.

3. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Just finished trying to tweak the TV for the game, it got a little better in sight but the problem is the graphics within the game, EA did not utilize the Xbox enough, I reset my entire whole theater system to tweak it from start to finish, the bottom line is the graphics in the game is about par, not great and not what I was expecting EA, they reused allot of scenes from previous versions and added a few things into the background but any true NFS guy can see that immediately, the game is still good especially when you can play it on a big screen but like I say im slightly disappointed at the graphics.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

5. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

It does help to hide the par graphics a bit, no its not 1080i