What's new

Need flatpanel help (1 Viewer)

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
My Panasonic CT-27HL14 CRT TV died on me (the second time in one year - stay away from this dog) and I want to replace it with a flatpanel TV.

I'm looking for something around 37-45". I orignally was thinking of getting a plasma - but the burn-in thread scared me off. So I'm looking at an LCD TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality LCD flatpanel TV in the 37-45" range? I saw a Sony 40" at one of the big-box stores and it had the best picture of the LCD bunch.

Now I mainly watch SD TV and a few DVDs, but I'm sure the furture holds HD for me (and all of us). So it has to have good SD viewing.

Thanks for the help!

Brandon

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Is there a price range you'd like to stay within? That's probably going to be the determining factor.

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator

Hmm....that's actually a tough one.

I'm thinking maybe under $4000 - unless there is a very compelling reason to go higher. I'm not sure what I get for the money, actually.

Anyone know of a good web site to read about the latest and greatest features listed for TVs?

I'm using DirecTV now without HD. I could see trying over the air HD, so a built-in HD tuner would be nice.

Something reliable would be nice - being bitten by this $500 27" Panasonic dying after one year makes me worried. My wife would kill me if I spent 4 grand on something that didn't last at least 5 years...

Thanks again for the help!

Brandon

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Brandon-

Go to avsforum.com. Go to the displays section. There are threads on plasmas and LCD tv's. A great bunch there. I'm involved in a thread looking at Pioneers and Panasonic plasmas.

If your budget is $4000, for less then that, you can get the Panasonic TH-42 and TH50PX50U series. They have 42 and 50" models. The 42" inches are incredibly priced around $2000-$3000. I am not up on the latest prices for those. The 50" around is $4500.00, but can be had for less if. On the burn in issue, these plasmas have a 100 hour breakin period where you only watch stuff full screen, after that they say it's safe. There are threads where you can learn what settings people use as often these sets come set in Torch mode where it's very bright and contrasty. Once you reset the those setting to an Avia calibration DVD, it's in line with reality and the set will be okay. And then there are those who feel there's always a chance for burn in. Especially the gamers and HDTV stations that show bug on the lower corner.

I'm looking at the Pioneer plasma, a tad over your budget, but it looks great!

I think the Sony LCD TV's are quite good. I have a 26" inch one and they have up to 32" I believe. The 32 can be had at Costco for $1200.00 or so IIRC.

At any rate, I highly recommend you go to the AVS Forums website. As I said, look to the left side of the screen go down a little and you'll see the links to the various topics.

Good luck

Westly T

Second Unit
Sony's lower model Bravia 32" has been $1687-$1699 at the costco's I've seen. Sony also has the XBR 32" & 40" Bravia LCD's all over, and I've sceen some nice Sharp 45" LCD's too in the low to mid $4k range.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I saw the Philips 32" and 37" LCD at Costco's and they looked REAL good. $1,495 for the 32". Both have ATSC tuners. Lot's of Web Dealers have them. Do a Google search. Good luck on your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks