What's new

need first receiver (1 Viewer)

I'm lookin to put together my first home theater setup and I really don't know much about receivers. I'm either going to get 4 paradigm mini-monitors a cc-170 and a sony mw-40, or a couple axiom m22ti, 2 axiom m2s, vp-100 center and the same sub as above.

Which receivers would be good for the above setups for about $250-300. What I have been looking at are the technics-950/1050, JVC rx-8010vbk, denon avr-682, any other recommendations.

Thanks

I would go with a denon, stay away from yamaha with the monitors. denon's have a nice warm sound that match the paradigms subtle brightness.

what about the pioneer VSX-D709S, its at refurbdepot.com for 210, is it safe to buy refurbished receivers, or should i go with a brand new one

thanks for the input

does anyone else recommend any other receivers, what are some good brands that i should look at, and what should i stay away from,

and if it makes a difference i'm looking at 75% HT, 25% music

Keith Ro

Agent
I have the Kenwood 507 and I'm a big fan. Paid $ 330 Canadian, I hear they go for about $220- $250 U.S.

Why do I like it? The consensus seems to be that it packs on more features than any other receiver in its price range and is better built than many low-end Yamaha's, Pioneer's, Sony's etc. Kenwood is always very aggressive about incorporating the latest features such as Dolby Pro Logic II, Circle Surround etc.

The only caveat is that I've heard they're discontinuing it and bringing out a 6.1 version soon, so you may want to hold off for a couple of months if that's important to you.

Can you get a better receiver? Of course, but I believe you'll pay considerably more for it.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes! Sony 1075 for $385, Jvc 9010 for $292, Pionneer 850. It's too bad your budget isn't around $500-600 for a rcvr. The options are a little better at that price range. Sony 3es, HK 520 , 2802. The lower line Onkyo's and Denons, just lack features and connections. But if you don't need those features and connections the Onkyo and Denon would be a good choice.
Yes! If the Kenwood has 5.1 and 5 real amps it would be good too.
Very few of the low ends have 5 or 6 discrete amps.
Dolby 2 is not necessary. I know, I have neo 6 and Dolby 2 and the all channel stereo for full range speakers is far superior in my opinion. ES discrete and DDEX are hard to find in the low end rcvrs. Good luck! 5.1 is good enough!:D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Which receivers would be good for the above setups for about $250-300. What I have been looking at are the technics-950/1050, JVC rx-8010vbk, denon avr-682, any other recommendations.
Based on my experience (having owned a JVC RX-8000VBK and then going to a Denon 1802), I'd recommend that you look for a used Denon 1802 in the for sale section. There is currently a used Denon 1802 posted for $325 (shipped).

My JVC RX-8000VBK was the predecessor the the 8010 and other than some cosmetic changes and the addition of a front USB port, it's the same receiver. The JVC gives you lots and lots (I do mean lots) of configuration options for a receiver. Some of these features are, but not limited to: 80/100/120 Hz selectable subwoofer crossover, parametric equalizer and several speaker settings which allow you to equalize your center channel speaker so it will match the other front speakers in the event they are not of the same make / model. The JVC also appears to be constructed well - weighs 26 Lbs. and has a significcant amount of components inside the chassis. However, I'd still look for a used Denon receiver. I own an AudioSource 15" subwoofer which sounded a bit muddy with the JVC receiver. After going with the Denon, I can't believe how much better my sub sounds. There are other differences, too.

Let us know what you've decided to go with.

500-600 is way too high, i think i can go 300-400. I'm a sophmore in college now and i just want something to get me through school and then when after I graduate get a real serious system. I'll take a look at the kenwood's, but I want to try to stay on budget.

Thanks for the help

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have the VR-509 which is the big brother to the 507. I have it mated with Paradigm speakers and it sounds wonderful. The 509 has a better remote and offers component video switching. Otherwise, it's the same. Check out www.mjshow.com for great Kenwood pricing. The 5xx series is being disontinued so you may get some closeout pricing.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Call= onecall, 6th ave, JR, Oades and get a great price on what you decide on. If you are like me, I upgraded from a jvc888 to a 3802. The 888 was a great stereo rcvr with good 5.1 and DTS. The 3802 is a great 7 channel 7 amp rcvr. The difference was the discrete amps. JVC on all its models, except the 9 and 10, are computer chip generated amplified channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks