What's new

Need eyewear advice (1 Viewer)

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I need a set or two of new eyeglasses (1 for daily wear, 1 backup or tinted as sunglasses). I'm very near-sighted (-8 sphere) in both eyes.

Which brand of lens should I get?

Currently, I am wearing a pair of moderately expensive Guess frames with hi-index glass lenses (Nikon 2 or 3 I think). Last week, I broke my backup set of eyeglasses when I slipped at work...broke hi-index glass lens, causing a deep cut just beneath my left eye, resulting five or six stitches (feel pretty lucky that I didn't lose my eye). After that scare, I am seriously considering a set of high index plastic lenses. A local optician mentioned Nikon 5 for CDN$550 (US$350) for lenses only. Then add CDN$200 (US$130) for the frames.

My employer covers CDN$250 (US$160) for eyewear every two years.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

PS. Until recently, I have sworn by glass due to it's thinness. Not any more.

PS2. I may use my current Guess eyeglasses for backup....since my backup glasses are seldom used.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I may be way off but wouldn't WCB cover at least part of your glasses if you broke them during an injury causing accident at work? I would look into that if I were you.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Humm.. save your $$$ and free yourself from the glass wear! Check into corrective eye surgery, make an appointment to have a consultation.
I wore Coke Bottle glasses since I was nine years old! Had laser surgery two years ago..now I am at 20/20 in the left eye and 20/15 in the right eye..also had a stigmatism in my right eye.
It is soooo great not having to repair or replace broken frames and lens!;)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I recommend that you do NOT get eye surgery. There are far too many bugs in it still. Go to Link Removed to do some research.
Pentax, Seiko, and Nikon both make exceedingly thin hyper hi index plastic lenses. I wear a Nikon 1.67 index lens with Crizal anti-reflective coating and I'm deliriously happy. Ues, they cost a fortune, but they are well worth it. Also, the smaller the frame you're willing to wear, the thinner the lenses. Trust me, I'm an eyecare professional and I'm blinder than you are.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
2nd what Andrew said. Also, I've been wearing the same frame + lens combo for about 3 years, more than any previous set. Usually they'll last for 2 at the most, typically one. My frames are Calvin Klein titanium...brand's not so important, but I swear by titanium - these frames are indestructible and light. I abuse my frames and they've come through unscathed so far.

Andrew...when I got my current set 3 years ago, the most current hi index plastic lens was a 1.66 (which I opted for). What is the difference between 1.66 and 1.67? Also, I've heard that a 1.7 and a 1.71 came out. However, I've heard conflicting reports from different opticians that this new index has been recalled/successful. Which is it? The detractors state that the 1.7's exhibit a rainbow effect.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ange Hamm is really nearsighted. I'm -1.5 and his glasses are painful for me to wear for an instant. In years past he's worn coke bottle glasses, but his glasses now are very thin, like mine! I agree with his recommendation on hyper-index lenses, he knows of what he speaks. I also share his opinion of refractive surgery, though he misspelled the web site name www.surgicaleyes.com .

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies. No eye surgery for me yet...just not reliable enough right now. Plus, that I am a wuss on that sort of thing.

I understand that the Nikon 5 at US$350 are spec'd at 1.74...very thin, very pricey. Might see how thin the Nikon 4 are? These slightly thicker lenses should be in the US$150-$200 range. A few more optical stores to check out including Costco, Sears, Bay/Zellers and a few mom and pop type stores.

My brother's prescription is even worse than mine....over -10 many years ago.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks