Need Expert Advice: Inaccurate Greens on Toshiba 50H82

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MuneebM, May 25, 2004.

1. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I recently bought an LG DV7832 DVD player that does upconversion to 1080i over component, and the picture quality is much improved on my Toshiba 50H82. However, while calibrating the set for the new player, I discovered a problem with my set that I never really payed attention to in the past.

With 1080i, the color decoder check on Avia showed that my reds and blues are dead-on, but my green is -20% (underpushed). I then checked with DVE and it confirmed that my greens are all over the place. I thought this might be a 1080i problem with my H82, so I switched to 480p and the greens are still very inaccurate. I then used another DVD player to check, and same problem, so its not the LG.

Is this normal for an H82 or does this require warranty repair? Can something in the service menu fix this if I'm willing to take the risk to go in there?

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
    My DVD Collection

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, it is normal. I notice red and blue being accurate but green being off on most of the recent Toshibas I calibrate. There is no service menu fix for this on most of the newer Toshibas that I have found so far, and I've done alot of digging. To quote the Calibration Rosetta Stone found at KeohiHDTV, there are "minor decoding parameters found in H95 & X81's", but nothing on the other recent models.
    The up side is that it's not as bad as a 15% non adjustable red push, which I sometimes run across. [​IMG]

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

What does accuracy have to do with the TV? [​IMG] TV's are made to sell ... not to deliver accurate images. This is not a warranty issue. This is simply the way the TV is ... unfortunately.

Regards

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

No TV is perfect ... all have their own issues ...

As well, test patterns and colour filters do not always give accurate results ... especially colour decoder patterns.

Regards