What's new

Need expert advice - beginner receiver/speaker package (1 Viewer)

eric_thr

Grip
I am looking for some help with a start-up home theater audio set-up. I would like the small satellite speakers instead of bookshelf. Is there a problem with the "In a box" packages you get at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. My only issue is that the cost seems to go up dramatically if you pass that level. Suggestions?

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

I think they are a great way to go to get started. I picked up the HTB503 about 2 years ago and loved it. It's a great starting point to see how cool HT is without breaking the bank. It also allows for easy upgrading of system pieces as the bug bites and funds allow. I think Kenwood's newest offering is the HTB504 and rumour has it that it can be had for around $400 or so. Comes with a good reciever (DD & DTS) as well as a 100W powered sub. At this point the only thing I've got left from the HTB is the reciever, everything else has been upgraded along the line.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I'm with Brian on this, the HTB-504 is probably the best entry level HTiB. The receiver (Kenwood VR-507) is very good and you can upgrade speakers and sub down the road.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Eric,

The Kenwood HTB is one of the best out there. However, as you spend more then quality generally goes up. For example you could go with the Def Tech Pro Cinema 100.6 and the Kenwood VR-507 and it will sound much better. There are points of diminishing returns out there. For entry level, the Kenwood system is the way to go. From there you can upgrade your sub first, then speakers (LCR), then surrounds, then upgrade the receiver.

Now if you can spend more, look at some of the speakers from Def Tech (such as the Pro Cinema series), Gallo Micros, and Jamo Apollo series. Enjoy!

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
The Kenwood HTB systems are great starter setups.:emoji_thumbsup:
Good bang for your buck value.
One thing to consider though, the speakers that come with the HTB-540 are closer to bookshelf sized speakers.
Take a look and see what you think:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/content/pr...b-504group.jpg
I believe Rob had a few good things to say about a JVC HTB that used smaller speakers, you may want to do a search on the "HTB" subject.
Good Luck,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks