What's new

Need everyone's opinion (1 Viewer)

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I am going to be in the market for a new TV soon(hopefully hd this time). Right now I have a 27" Sony (KV-27FS200) that is connected to a toshiba sd-3800 and an XboX. Before I get into the meat of my post I was wondering what everyone's opinion on my TV and DVD player.

Ok I am 20, so I don't have a lot of money and live in a fairly small appartment. Another thing..I most likley will have the buy the tv from a big chaing that offers free financing(BB, CC...American) so keep that in mind.

I went looking at sets the other day and I really liked the Samsung's. I was thinking about getting the TXN3298HF. Any opinions? Should I stick with sony?

Well what is everyone's thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

Troy

ChadLB

Screenwriter
What price are you willing to spend(even with financing).
What features are you looking for?

EdR

Second Unit
I also live in a small apartment, and I urge you to consider a front projector if you can swing it in your price range. It's hard to top the combination of small size and large image a FP gives you when you have a small living space.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if I can get intrest free for a year(which I should) I would prob spend maybe 2 grand. I don't really know what features I want or need. I am pretty new to the whole "home theatre" thing. I watch movies all the time and play my xbox once in a while.

What features should I be looking for? I would like the set to last a fairly long time. Have great picture(not sure if I want a 4:3 or 16:9 tv yet)...

Not sure if this is true but I have heard that rear projection tv's have burn in. If that is the case or even possible...I would rather not go that route. I don't care that direct view tv's are heavy (I am strong enough where it shouldn't be a problem from the weights of tv's I have seen). I really don't have any experience with projectors at all and I don't think I can afford plasma(from what I have seen).

Any more suggestions or opinions are welcome.

PS- sorry for any spelling errors ...its been a really long day

Troy

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hi Troy, my suggestion would eb a toshiba direct view set, they make very nice tv's and are generally much cheaper than sony or panasonic's of similar quality. As well in my opinion Toshiba make the best direct view set available. good grey scale out of the box, and a very good line doubler, it handles crappy sources like cable very very well.

as far as weight goes tho.... my 36 inch toshiba weighs over 220 pounds.... i might be able to lift that weight myself, but not a box that size and weight.

Also i personally prefer 4:3 tv's right now cause bottom line is you pay a premium for widescreen. a 36" costs about the same as a 34" widescreen. but the 36" is the same as 33" widescreen set. and the 34" is the same as a 28" 4:3 set..... for the same price id rather lose an inch on WS material than 8 inches on 4:3 material. simple math.

but if the prices drop and you compare a 34" to a 32" then you would lose 4 inches on WS material as opposed to 4 inches on 4:3 material, it is pretty much a fair trade off.

So as long as the WS require a price premium I aint buying.

Plus a 4:3 HDTV should have a squeeze mode, and no matter what your gonna be seeing black bars.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
So now I am wondering out of all the direct view tv's out their which brand is the best? Some say sony and now toshiba...ahhh what to get :) What does everyone think.?

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks