Need enclosure plans for building.....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SteveSpoon, Nov 27, 2003.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Have a 12" Dayton DVC and a Parts Express 250 watt plate amp. Not too long ago I was all set on building my own subwoofer enclosure, but need to regroup and start from scratch. What enclousure would you build and where can I get the plans I am pretty handy with tools and have access to Dad's workshop (high quality table saw, etc.). Don't know if whether or not to go with a vented cabinet or sealed. About 50/50 on music vs. home theater listening. Thanks a lot.

Steve

2. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

What kind of enclosure are you looking for? Vented or ported? If ported, what kind of tuning (EBS, flat, or mid bass)?

Personally if I were 50%/50% I'd probably go ported flat... which is in the 4ft3 and 23Hz tune for the PE 295-185 woofer. If you want to have a f3 at about 20Hz you'd have to go to a slightly EBS design like 5ft3 and a 20Hz tune (unrelated to the f3 point)

Have you experimented with a subwoofer modeling software?

Later...
    Rob

3. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

You guys talk a different language than what my feeble mind can comprehend. I don't know anything about subwoofer building, how to "tune it", software, etc. I am very handy with building, however. As for ported vs. enclosed, don't really know which way to go with that as well since I don't know how to "tune" a subwoofer. Was leaning towards a sealed cabinet since I didn't want to make a ported enclosure that was totally out of "tune".

So for now, can I simply use adire's plans that are based on the Shiva sub? Wouldn't my Dayton 12" DVC work in those plans? Thanks a lot.

Steve