Need Education on Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bill*L, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Bill*L

Bill*L Extra

I currently have a Denon 3803 reciever and have been extremely impressed with it. I knew when I bought this reciever that I could add an amplifier in the future if I wanted to. In always trying to better my HT experience, I am looking into buying an amp. I recently went down to my local AV store and tried to get educated so that I could make a decision on which brand/model to go with. They demo'd several and I must say that I did not hear much of a difference. What exactly should I be listening for? Clarity? Louder??
    I am looking for a noticable difference between my current setup and used to think that adding an amp would make that difference but now I am confused.

The rest of my equipment consists of:
    Denon 2900 DVD player
    Infinity Overture 3 mains
    Infinity CC3 center channel
    Paradigm ADP-350 surrounds
    Velodyne CT-150 subwoofer

2. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

I've been going through a similar transition (none of the same equpiment, but the same process) in the last 6 months and I'm still at it, so maybe my response is of interest.

You probably can get all the volume you want out of your receiver. So IMHO I'd say the answer is clarity. When I added the external amp still using the AVR as a preamp, I think I got better control over the bass freqs - more realism out of deep guitar notes was how I noticed it. I don't think there was any real improvement in the highs until I bypassed the AVR with a 2-channel preamp.

I don't think the cost would have been worth it for just HT. I'm not playing multi-channel music at this time (except for the DVD concerts, which I'm treating as HT for this purpose). The effect with just the amp was subtle. It's taken both the preamp change and a source change to make a significant change in my 2-channel sound.

Hope that helps,

3. Bill*L

Bill*L Extra

Thanks Eric.
    Being that my primary use will be HT, SACD, and DVD-Audio, I am getting the feeling that a more expensive amp like a 5-7 channel Runco or B&K will be a waste of money. Should go with a less expensive amp like Outlaw or another moderate priced amp?

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Outlaw should serve you perfectly fine since the most you will be doing is HT. If your current setup is able to drive your speakers to adequate levels then don't even bother to go that route because you wont hear much difference in HT anyways. Just enjoy what you have and put the money into buying lots of good movies.

5. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit