What's new

Need DVD Reviewers! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Bisram

Auditioning
All I meant is that the sound and video quality are second to the actual movie review aspect, that's what we focus on.

For those of you who are interested, send me a sample review following our format.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Ryan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
If it were content only, then I'd be very interested, I wrote some WWE reviews in the TV Software section that were like that. I mainly popped in because for those that do end up doing it, I found it to be fun just doing them out of my own time without anyone asking and would do more accept now is a slow time for WWE DVD releases, but it can be a good outlet if you want to keep up on your writing or to perfect a style, and maybe nobody ever has to see them.

I'm still waiting for someone to start up that site that deals specifically with reviews of audio commentaries now that would be awesome. I'm rambling now, but I think that reviewing DVDs for a site or not is really fun, and maybe I'll be reading some of you guys in the near future.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
You know...I'm inheriting the home theatre system my parents that my parents are getting rid of, due to it not being asethically pleasing to their new house. (I.e. the speakers are too big) I'll gladly take the setup and volunteer to do reviews! I'm just getting out of my first year in university and would love to start contributing to the net in some way!

[email protected]

Send me a message!

Cool that you're from Toronto...I'm moving back to the GTA from Carleton on Friday!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I must have too much time on my hands - I watch dvds more than anything else although I am not a couch potatoe in the strictest sense - its just that the studios are releasing alot more material these days! I watch mainly films from the '50's
and '60's so that would be my area of "expertise". Viewing them on a 16x9 ( 92") and 2:35 ( 107") screens - depending on OAR - so if you would like input from a FP ( Panasonic AE500 ) user let me know as I have approx. 400 titles at the moment. The sound system is up to snuff, two subs and seperate amps for each channel etc. and DVI for video.You can reach me at [email protected].

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as interested. Email me at [email protected], IM me on AOL Instant Messenger under PhoncipleBone, or PM me on here.

I have the HD set and a decent sound system, and have been interested in reviewing for years

SvenS

Second Unit
Then I guess you should ask for anyone with a good DVD or VHS library as long as audio/video quality is secondary.

I have to agree with a couple others in that if you want to be a DVD review site you MUST have reviewers with good solid equipment to do a proper review. Maybe you can have 1 or 2 J6P reviewers with a TV only doing some reviews but you MUST indicate the extent of the reviewers equipment so people can decide whether the reviewer has the ability to do a proper review.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator

Not if, as he mentioned, the focus is the content not the pic and sound quality. Look past the trees for a moment and see the forest.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For the people who have been critical of what he initially said about the equipment needed, the type of review Ryan is looking for is quite different from the ones you usually see here on HTF. They are mostly about the film with info about the DVD at the end. Many of the reviews I see here mainly have a short synopsis and a lot of info on the video and sound quality. There is more creative writing to this type of review, So, it's not the easiest thing. I think creative observation and writing skills are more important than the most elaborate equipment. Equipment still needs to be decent, though.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Depends on the sort of review. If someone wants useful information about picture and audio quality, yeah, the equipment needs to be up to snuff. If the review takes the DVD Journal slant and has almost nothing about the DVD itself, you could watch the disc on a portable player and be able to write about it. Honestly, I don't understand the point of that form of DVD review - there are already skillions of movie reviews out there - but if that's the way the site wants to go, equipment quality doesn't matter one iota...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, not to seem negative, but I was disappointed with the quality of AUDIO equipment said to be required to do a review. I agree with Colin: are we doing a DVD or a MOVIE review? I am personally very much interested in the DVD presentation as that is my investment.

The sound presentation is very important to me. I still find it hard to believe that people don't find the sound makes a huge difference in how a movie comes across. Oh well, in a world where many people think your typical MP3 sounds great...we seem to have greatly pushed our important hearing sense to the background these days...some day I fear our species will be mostly deaf because our brains will have forgotten how to process sound...but I overly digress...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Colin, I tend to disagree with the value of different types of review. Video and audio quality tend to be more objective and I feel there are already too many reviews of those aspects, since they will tend to generally agree. Notice I said tend to generally agree, since it seems an awful lot of people "critiquing" those aspects do not take into consideration the intention of the film maker and want everything to look like Attack of the Clones. Movie reviews, or more accurately, critiques, are completely subjective and each critic will tend to have a different take on a movie. So, to me, there almost can't be too many critiques of the movie iself.

Craig, I don't know how the whole thing will go, but I am doing reviews for the site and my audio system, while not being the absolute best out there, is better than at least 99% of what most people have. What I usually find is that most films these days have pretty good soundtracks. Plus movies, I believe, are still usually more visual that aural. Now, if it is T3 being reviewed, audio quality is a huge part of the overall review, but with many great films, audio is not so critical a part of the equation. With a film like 21 Grams, so long as it is clear, well mixed and intelligible, it gets the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks