Need DVD recorder hook up help!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Patrick Williams, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Pioneer DVR-520 recorder. I plan to hook it up to my Dish 811 box via S-video. The outputs from the Pioneer to my rec. will be component and Toslink for the audio.

I also can hook it up to basic cable, which will allow me to use the Pioneer's VCR+. I'm confused about one thing: If I use the RF cable in, but don't connect the RF out to anything (I have a projector with no RF input), will I get a picture out of the component jacks on the Pioneer?

Thanks for any help!

2. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if it would convert live TV to component, if that is what you are wondering, but it would play recorded tv out that way.

My Panasonic does play live TV through component out, so it might.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

My Gateway DVDR plays live TV through component also. I have it hooked to the Component1 input on my RCA HDRPTV. One benefit of this, on my TV anyway, is that the picture when played through the tuner in the DVDR is visually better than when I watch through my HD STB via S-Video. However, I do have the RF cable plugged into the DVDR first and then out from the DVDR to the STB which is then in turn plugged into the TV via Component and S-Video. BTW-I watch HD channels via the STB's Component outputs plugged into the Component2 input on my RCA.....the HD channels are stunning, especially Discovery HD Theater![​IMG]