Need DVD player for around $300 - no HDTV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Richard_Brodsky, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Richard_Brodsky

OK, no one is responding to my other thread. Let me try it this way. I'm looking for a new DVD single disc player for around $200-300. I have no HDTV, so no need for upscaling, but I want the best picture quality available for my 32" WEGA XBR TV. Any suggestions?

Panasonic DVD-S97S ?

Is that a waste of money for me without need for upscaling? Is it worth it just for the component out to my analog TV? Picture quality is of utmost importance to me.

2. John S

John S Producer

I think the reason you have not gotten response, is becasue svideo and/or composite video performance just isn't evaluated anymore that I know of. I have no idea what modern DVD players have great svideo and/or composite performance.

So I think most players will be about equal on svideo performance.

3. Richard_Brodsky

Component is what I would use. Jeez, does EVERYONE in the world have HDTV now? Can't a guy get a DVD player and use it with an analog TV anymore or has everyone moved on? I'd love to have the cash to plunk down on a new Plasma TV or something, but my Sony WEGA isn't going anywhere anytime soon....

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Richard: No, not everyone has an HD-capable display. But, yes, this should be a nice player (and, please, use the component-video connections between player and display). That Sony of yours has a 16:9 mode doesn't it? If so, activate it and set your player to 16:9 output.

5. Richard_Brodsky

Yes, thank you. The Sony does have a 16x9 mode. So the component connection alone makes this player worthwhile, or will I get more bang for my buck elsewhere?

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

Sony 975 is a great match for the XBR. I have both and the sony 975 is the best dvd player I have owned yet. the upscale is also great detail compared to other upscale player I have owned by far!!!

480P is top notch on this player and is as good if not better than my old Panasonic XP50 player.

7. Richard_Brodsky

But once again, with the XBR there is no need for upconversion, right? So do I really get my money's worth with the Sony 975 just using the component connection to my XBR? Or am I spending money on features I don't need?

8. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

wrong! people might tell you otherwise but that is wrong.

I have 2 other upscale players. the zenith dvb-318 and the samsung 840 ? forget. anyway I couldnt tell the difference with these players in upscale or 480p, a little bit I could see on the zenith but not much. but the Sony 975 upscale to 1080i is a huge difference over HDMI. absolutely more detail that is easily seen over the 480p mode.

IMO: the Sony 975 is worth the price for the 480P alone. its that good. like I said even better than my old Panasonic XP50.

look at it this way. for a good 480P machine your gonna have to spend atleast $200 anyway maybe even more. the Sony 975 is an excellent machine all around. you wont be disappointed! great match for an XBR!!!

9. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

I can recommend the Neuneo HDV 2085 (www.neudigits.com), which upscales to 720p, 1080i or 1080p via component video. 1080i gives a significant improvment over 480p even on my panasonic AE300 with 540x940 Pixels. The player is codefree out of the box as additional benefit.

10. John S

John S Producer

But will his display even take 480p? Does the player actually output 480i over component video? Many don't anymore.

11. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

The Neuneo outputs every NTSC- or PAL-Signal as 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p, you can switch on the fly, just press a button on the remote. Very useful for comparison of quality.

12. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

kinda strange cause I never heard of a sony wega XBR with no HDTV support. Richard are you sure this tv is not HDTV ? I thought all XBR's were HDTV's.

at any rate if it supports 16:9 I am sure it supports 480P.

not only does the player do 480i over component it also does 480i over HDMI.

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Earlier-model XBRs (before 1998) are strictly NTSC-only. And, so, progressive scanning will not benefit Richard. But the component-video connections are good, as is the 16:9 mode. Again, set the XBR to 16:9 input, and configure the player to 16:9 output.

14. Richard_Brodsky

Yeah I have an older model XBR, so as far as I know, progressive scan and/or upscaling of any kind is meaningless to me. I can put it in 16x9 mode and use the component connection, but that's it. Right now I'm leaning towards the Panasonic DVD-S77S. Seems like maybe it's a newer version of the 97S? Amazon has it for $199 with free shipping. As far as I can tell the difference is maybe that it doesn't have an HDMI cable? Something I don't need anyway. Anyone have any thoughts on the Panny S77S?

15. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

dont think of just the present but also the future. whos to say you wont upgrade to an HDTV anytime soon ? they are getting really cheap now. I seen 27" for $350 now.

16. Richard_Brodsky

My wife!

17. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

WOW! im sorry.

never would my wife tell me not to buy a tv. would you buy one if you were single ? marriage isnt about a wife telling you what and what not to do. funny thing is she dont mind you buying a dvd player thats more than half the cost of a new HDTV....lol [​IMG]

good luck!

18. Richard_Brodsky

We're just in no position to buy a new TV. I wouldn't be buying a new DVD player if my RP-91 hadn't bitten the dust.

19. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

bummer! RP-91 is a nice player.

are we ever in position to make big purchases ? thats why I always so the heck with it, go for it. if you think about it the TV is one of the most used things in your house. I can imagine you have saved quite a bit over the years not buying a nice, a real nice tv. for once just go for it. [​IMG]

20. Richard_Brodsky

Well the WEGA is/was a real nice TV and it's still functioning, so it's hard to make an argument for replacing it right now. Basically financially speaking, we're in no position to be upgrading any HT stuff. If my RP-91 hadn't died I wouldn't be here right now..........