Need DVD player, but TV only has coaxial input!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timon Russo, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

My parents TV is an older, cheaper model with no separate audio/video inputs. I want to buy them a DVD player, but hopefully not a whole new TV. How can I get these connected? Also, does anyone know if the DVD/VCR combos (which I would actually prefer buying them) allow the DVD pic/sound to go thru the coaxial cable? If that is the case, problem solved.

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about DVD/VCR combos, but there are some (usually cheaper model) DVDs that have a coax out. There is also a cheap converter that will take the video and audio outputs of the DVD player and turn it into an RF signal to be connected to your TV via a coax cable.

SMK

3. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

(text removed by administrator)

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think radio shack sells what you're looking for. it'll basically take a rca signal and convert it to rf so you can connect it to the coax input on the back of your tv. i tried to search the website, but couldn't find the catalog number.

also, if your parents have a vcr already hooked up to the tv, you can probably run the signals from the dvd to the vcr, then switch inputs on the vcr.

5. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

Steven is right -- I think there are some lower-end DVD players with coax output. Routing the signal through your VCR will likely hurt you because of Macrovision copy protection (even though you're not recording it, the VCR will begin screwing with the signal as soon as it hits the VCR inputs).
    The device Ted refers to is your best bet for hooking a DVD palyer up to your TV: an RF modulator. It can be found here. If you also have a VCR hooked up to your TV, you may need to get a coax switch A/B box while you're at Radio Shack (so you can switch the coax input to the TV between VCR and DVD).

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

oh yeah...thanks jim.
    i forgot all about the macrovision block. do you know if that always blocks the video feed in vcr's?

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It should be noted that if the television is so old that connecting a DVD player requires an RF demodulator, the set can't probably begin to show the advantages of the DVD format in the first place.

Of course, we're spending your money here, but I'd consider also purchasing a decent, current-model 27-inch TV with component-video inputs. It should be more than adequate for your parents, and they will realize some of the advantages of DVD with it.

8. Jim Prillaman

Macrovision will only mess you up if the DVD includes it. The major studios are pretty consistent about using macrovision, I believe.

9. Timon Russo

Thank you all for your prompt, informed replies. My parents only want a DVD player so they can borrow movies from my collection, and rent from the local DVD-only movie rental place. Picture/sound quality isn't a big concern for them.

Still curious about the combo DVD/VCR question I had (the Best Buy guy was clueless when I asked him just now).

Thanks again.

10. Jim Prillaman

Popped by Crutchfield real quickly to see what I could find out about DVD/VCR's (not necessarily the best source, but quick and easy at least). Crutchfield has a grand total of one DVD/VCR combo units: the JVC HR-VXC1U. I found the following blurb:

11. Timon Russo

Jim, thanks. Thanks exactly what I was looking for.