Need DVD Player advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Butler, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Im getting my folks a DVD player in a few weeks but need advice on the Toshiba SD-2800. I dont want to get them a piece of crap but nothing too high-end either. They run a 40inch projection 4x3 with no HT.

I was looking into the Pioneer DVD-341 which is who I like (I have the DV-626) also but I heard the Toshibas are more user friendly for Joe and Jane Sixpack types (My parents).

Any ideas or reviews?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Check out this thread from last week. Should answer some of your questions.
    The machine is good. Since it's a Toshiba, it's inexpensive as opposed to being "cheap." Since I perform the so-called 16:9 "squeeze" on my bedroom display, downconversion artifacting is not an issue for me. And your parents probably wouldn't notice any of that anyway.

3. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Jack,

Thanks for the feedback. I read the other thread you linked and noticed your post about the downconversion issues. Thats for the anamorphic squeeze right? I dont know much about that since I run an older 4x3 TV with my HT. My folks wouldnt care about any of that but I was curious.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No, it's in regard to the 2800's ability to downconvert a 16:9-encoded disc for a 4:3-native letterboxed presentation. Some players handle the downconversion process better than others. I prefer to sidestep that process altogether, and collapse the scanning-line raster on my bedroom set into a 16:9 window. Makes all the difference.

Again, nice little machine.