1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Need DVD-A ....... What player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

I have been out of the loop with DVD-A because my pre-pro doesn't have 6 channel analog passthrough. However I am upgrading this piece. I haven't paid attention as to the player that people are getting.
    What player(s) are making the most bang for the buck right now that have both DVD-A and progressive scan. Might not need something for about 2 months, so I'd be willing to wait if something great is coming in time for Xmas.
    Price is important as always. I don't want to spend more than $500 and if I can get one for less, than great.
    Thanks for your help.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

For around $500, take a look at the Panasonic DVD-RP91. Places like Tweeter and Crutchfield sell it for $700, but you should be able to get it discounted by mail for around $500 from dealers such as OneCall and J&R Music World. Most people here seem to like the 'RP91, and there are no other DVD-Audio players to consider for $500 (the Toshiba SD-4700 and SD-5700 aren't out yet). A couple people here have complained about their 'RP91 units not reading Region 1 DVDs, but that may not be a common problem. I have the Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, which was the predecessor to the 'RP91, and the 'A10 is an excellent piece. I would expect the 'RP91 to have many of the 'A10's positive attributes, and the 'RP91 adds progressive-scan output.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Take a look at the JVC xv-fa70bk or xv-fa95gd. They are both the same player but one is black and one is gold. It offers DVD-A and progressive scan. It also does a nice job of scaling non-anamorphic discs. An added bonus is that it is a seven disc changer also. I had the rp-91 and thought it sounded great but i could never get the picture the way i wanted(tried everything i read here and also swapped it for a new one). I have a Panasonic 56" HD ready set and the JVC puts out a fine picture. It can usually be had for considerably less than the 91. I have seen it in the $350 to $400 range. Definetly worth a look. I'm not saying don't try the 91 though, it is definetly worth considering. There are lots of happy 91 owners here on the forum. Good Luck.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I have the JVC XV-723GD and I love it! I bought it about 6 months ago. If you can still get it, I am sure you could pick it up for around $250. It is a great dvd audio player, it is also excellent as a video player too, it is progressive scan. This unit was in an issue of Home Theater magazine 2 issues ago and got great reviews.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"