Need "Do IT Yourself" info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GuyCB, Dec 22, 2001.

1. GuyCB

GuyCB Auditioning

Dec 19, 2001
    Hi, I'm a new member. I will be building a house next spring and would like to study up on Home theater as-well-as whole house audio/video/networking. I have a few books (Smart home for Dummies) but would like to find much more to study. Any reference materials discussing "How-To's" is what I would like to find.
  2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons
    Hello Guy,
    Welcome on the Forum!
    That's a bit of a difficult question you're asking, because you're not very specific. Do you want to know about hardware for a HT, or are you merely looking for information on construction, etc.?
    The Stereophile Guide to Home Theater has a long running series about the "secrets" of a good HT room. Also, you can look around on this forum to get some marvellous ideas. If you have more specific questions, someone will certainly dare to answer ([​IMG]).
    I haven't read them myself, but I found a few book titles on the subject. Perhaps someone can tell us how good or bad these are:
    - Home Theater for Everyone : A Practical Guide to Today's Home Entertainment Systems -- by Robert Harley, Tomlinson Holman; Paperback or Hardcover / Acapella Publishing / August 1997
    - Complete Idiot's Guide to Home Theater Systems -- by Michael Miller; Paperback
    - Build Your Home Theater in a Weekend (In a Weekend) -- by Cub Karabian, et al; Paperback
    - Basic Home Theater: The Complete Guide to Buying, Installing and Maintaining Home Theater Systems
    Gordon McComb / Paperback / Master Publishing, Incorporated / December 1998
    - Build Your Own Home Theater
    Robert Wolenik / Paperback / Butterworth-Heinemann / January 1993
    - The Home Theater Companion: Buying, Installing, and Using Today's Audio-Visual Equipment
    Howard Ferstler / Paperback / Music Sales Corporation / July 2000
    Good luck!