Need DIY cable help in Houston

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shade Watson, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Hello fellow DIYers.
    I'm interested in building some audio cables, but the cost for the tools seems to be higher than the cost of the materials I would need. I am hoping some HTF member who lives in or around Houston, would let me borrow their crimping tools, or allow me to come over to their home and use their tools there. I assume that once all the materials are gathered, that it doesn't take long to assemble the cables. I've never done this before so I may need some advise also. I can bring beer!
    What do you say, who would be willing to help a fellow Do-It-Yourselfer?
    [Edited last by Shade Watson on July 11, 2001 at 04:21 PM]

2. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Shade,
    I am in Houston and have built a number of cables but sadly can not help much as I have used only Audioquest and WBT solder type connectors. If you decide to buy tools,check EPO for prices. Or, maybe you can find really cheap stuff at one of the tool importers on Harwin.
    Good luck,Jason

3. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

I am not in Houston, but if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them. Since I am in the cable business, I can probably help. [​IMG]
    Lex
    ------------------
    Lexman's Theater

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Im new to the whole DIY area. I have been noticing these DIY cable topics, and, I dont get it. Whats the big deal?
    No no no. Im not being mean, I just meant that, well, waht is so great about making your own cables? Can using hand picked material pose better quality? It sounds like it would be hard to do.
    Im just curious.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Like most DIY projects, you either save money via DIY, or get to spec out the project to YOUR liking if nothing is commercially available at the price point you want to pay.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

6. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

What I am looking for is a cheap, high quality and attractive cable that I could build myself. I don't have any tools yet, and I don't want to spend a lot on tools.
    Chris White's DIY web page has motivated me to do this myself, however, his plan includes ~100 dollars worth of tools.
    I was hoping that either someone in Houston already has the needed tools and know-how, or one or two other Houstonians would be willing to chip-in for the needed tools, then we could have a cable making party.
    Any suggestions for how to make a easy, cheap, high quality and attractive analog cables are welcome.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Shade,
    Unless you are married to the idea of crimp-styled cables, get in touch with me and we can discuss your needs and options. Read on for more details.
    Scott,
    As with most things, there are pros and cons to making your own cables. You can certainly make your own high-quality cables for much less than so-called audiophile fare, but not necessarily for less than Radio Shack’s Gold cables.
    The primary advantage of custom cables, in my opinion, is the ability to make custom lengths. Need an 8-inch set of cables? No problem. Need a pair that’s 4-ft., 5-inches? No sweat. Being limited to off-the-shelf lengths of 3, 6, or 12’ contributes to a “rat’s nest” of cables piled behind your components.
    I used a unique approach that significantly reduced the “rats nest” syndrome and saved a lot of space as well. I picked up a few lengths of multi-conductor Mogami pro-audio cable, typically used to make what is know in the industry as a “snake.” With a single cable about as thick as a pair of Radio Shack Gold cables is wide, I got eight channels of signal (i.e., four stereo pairs). Thus I needed only a couple of cables running from the cabinet where my receiver is to the cabinet that houses the source components.
    In know it is non gratis on these forums, but I prefer to solder my cables. With soldered cables, you are not limited to a certain manufacturer’s cables or RCA connectors. You can get a nice soldering iron from Weller or Ungar for about half the price of those expensive crimpers. And what will you do with those crimpers after your cable project is finished? You can use a soldering iron for numerous applications, like replacing components on a circuit board, replacing connectors on broken cables, etc.
    My favorite RCAs are these from Parts Express, arguably the beefiest RCA on the market, for a very reasonable price. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2415&DID=7
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

I would have to second what Wayne said. I built almost all of my interconnects mainly to fill a specific need(length,better shielding ect.)and did not do so for the cost advantage. In fact,the WBT connectors I used on a couple of cables were over eighty dollars for four. The A/Q connectors were a much more reasonable seven or so dollars each but even at that are still more than you would pay for Radio Shack gold.
    I also agree on the solder vs crimp deal. The Parts Express connectors seem to be a good value but if you want to spend a little more, look at the Dayton Audio connectors also at parts express. They are WBT clones but are only about ten bucks per pair.
    Jason
    Hey Wayne,what part of Katy are you in? We just moved out to Cinco Ranch the end of March.