need direction to find a combo sacd/dvd-a

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Feb 21, 2002.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

maybe it's because i have been up too long or something, but I can't find anywhere to buy/review combo players for dvd-a&v and sacd. HELP!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darryl, you have three options for "universal" players at present:
    1) APEX AD-7701: J&R Music World is selling it for $350, or at least they were when I checked about six weeks ago. Reviews I have read on the '7701 on Audio Asylum have been generally poor, which doesn't surprise me in any way. It is an APEX product, after all.
    2) Pioneer DV-AX10: Stereophile has the 'AX10 on the cover of the current issue, though the player has been around for awhile now. It does not play multi-channel SACDs (stereo only), and it processes SACDs through a PCM DAC. Stereophile was impressed with the 'AX10 as a DVD-Audio player, but not as an SACD player. They found that the 'AX10 fell short of the Sony SCD-XA777ES with SACDs. Note that the 'AX10 sells for around $5000.
    3) Pioneer Elite DV-47A: The '47A isn't out yet, but it is supposed to be out by the end of the month, last time I heard. So, stay tuned for reviews. Unlike the 'AX10, the '47A will play multi-channel SACDs and will process SACDs through a DSD DAC. The retail price will be $1200, but www.soundpros.com is taking pre-orders for $750. Note that Sound Pros is not an authorized dealer.

3. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

thx..that was helpful...! I preordered for $750 so...