Need direction on how to build S-Video Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Lam Nguyen, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I need direction on how to build S-Video Cables, I know that partexpress has the materials to build it but I just need direction. Thanks

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dont.

There was a white-paper floating around a few years ago. It basically said that wireing up SVideo cables was tricky and easy to do wrong.

The SVideo connector is very small and the 2 - 30 ga wires inside the SVideo sheath are twisted around each other, (and I think they each have foil shields as well). It takes a practiced technician to strip the minimum amount of shield, then solder the wires while keeping the twists (for noise rejection).

While it's easy to make RCA cables (with the proper tools), SVideo connectors take some practice soldering in tight spaces.

Hit the custom web sites for SVideo cables that use the good Belden SVideo cable and good connectors built by someone who makes cables a lot. The prices are usually very good.

3. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

It's not the easiest thing to do. Get a copy of the pinout, first. Then, I'd strongly advise getting a good temperature-controlled soldering iron with the smallest tip you can find. Buy extra connectors, because you'll likely melt a couple as you learn.

Tin the shield and the center conductors after stripping, then cut them to length during assembly to make sure you get the relative lengths just right. Try to use the minimum amount of heat necessary--it's easy to melt the plastic around the pins and cause the pins to migrate.

And don't forget to put the connector shell on the cable first...if you forget, there will be much cussing involved....

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you really are going to do this, follow Kurt's suggestion of wireing up some test cables first.

It's like painting the house. The first wall is usually crappy/sloppy but by the end of the day you have gotten better with practice.

Note: if you are trying to make a LONG svideo cable thinking you are saving money by DIY, I still recommend looking into the custom cable sites. They also sell a "Y" adaptor with a SVideo plug in the middle going out to 2 connectors. You run long runs of RG6 coax with matching connectors and use this for runs to say an over-head projector.

5. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I make all my interconnects, digital and video wire and just thought I try to make an S-Video. Sounds pretty hard, I think I'll just leave this one alone for now. Thanks