What's new

Need Digital AVR for JBL L1 & L7's (1 Viewer)

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns
I have a set of 10 year old JBL's that still sound very good. They are currently hooked up to a Denon AVR-3000 (10yr old too, around 100w a channel) . The Dolby Pro Logic channel/source went out and I am running on Matrix (no Center Channel). I figured instead of repairing and being without anything while it's in the shop, I would just upgrade to DTS.

The question is this, the front speakers use two channels to drive the speakers. One channel for the High-End and one channel for the woofer (12", kicks butt too). And the L7's are the rear speakers, I forget the Brand NAme on the Center Channel speaker. Not sure but I think all the speakers are 8 ohms, I will look tonight to verify if posted on the outside. I don't have any of the manuals any longer (too many relocations).

So I need some recommendations as to what would be a good replacement. would like to stay around the $700 range or less if possible.

THX in Advance !! The noob on the block !
HankSter

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns
Well I had the first post a little mis-worded ....

The L7's are the front speakers that have the seperate inputs.

The AVR-3000 has Front A & B outputs to the speakers (eight connections total +/-), one output (A) to the High/Mid and one output to the low-end woofer (B) for the Left and then the same for the Right.

H

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
what you'll want to do is either get jumpers or bi-wire those speakers if i'm not mistaken. You can search the connections forum to find plenty of heated discussions and topics about bi-wire/bi-amp/jumpers over there. If you want a DTS receiver and want to stay in the 700 range, a couple of questions first.

1. Music/Movies percentage wise?
2. Are you opposed to refurbished equipment rather than new?
3. Do you want to stay with any certain brand?
4. What other features are you looking for?

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns

PS: Bill, THX for the reply and any knowledge you can share will be greatly appreicated ...

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Well If you like the way Denon sounds then stick by it, nobody else can tell you how your ears will hear things.

You typically can find a Denon 3805/3806 refurbed for less than the 700 dollar mark you were looking at. Look around online and at some of the retailers mentioned on this website and you'll be able to find a deal.

If I were you forget about the A/B switch, thats not actually doing you alot of good when it comes to those speakers. Try jumpers or bi-wiring (I"M NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT ABOUT THE MERITS OF BI-WIRING JUST GIVING OPTIONS). I personally bi-wire my speakers and i could tell an immediate difference in the low to mid bass.

The 3805/3806 will give you all the options you're looking for including passing a HD signal over component for xbox, if you have a HD Capable TV. By the way what kind of display are you using?

If you have any questions about the jumpers or bi-wiring let me know and i can send you pictures/diagrams explaning it.

Bill

P.S. if you want to demo other options outside of the denon line go to the store and take a listen to Onkyo 703/HK 650 or whatever the new 6xx model is/and Yamaha 2600 they should all be around the same price range. Oh and where are you from, if you're from my area I can give you a couple of good spots/people to talk to that can give you the correct info.

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns
Hi Bill...

The A/B is not a switch Denon has eight posts on the back for the front speakers. 4 for the left and 4 for the right. It's just labeled as A and B from what I remember (lost manual) the B's don't need to be connected and you just turn off B from the remote. Are you saying this is a bad thing and I should bi-wire and use only a "A" posts ?

So I can make my Xbox come across as HD, dat would be kewl !!

Display, glad you brought that up !! I was searching for that as well when you posted .... leaning towards DLP because of the size I would like 55"-65" I like the brightness of LCD but it has a size limitation ... not sure which yet, but leaning to DLP. I guess the big question is whether I should go 1080i or 1080p ? ? ? As I will probably hookup a computer, it won't be the only one (I have a couple). Maybe a little web surfing, definetly view my MSAccess DVD Movie database, etc .... play music from the HD to AVR (need to learn).

I was kinda leaning toward Samsung or Sony Grand Vega for DLP. Last time I went to the store I noticed that the Sony had less loss of picture when off to the side and it seemed to be clearer/brighter ? ? Which display do you have / recommend. I think someone on here mentioned something about Samsumg coming out with some NEW tech ? The member said to wait until released and see what it's like to another member.

Edit: Las Vegas, NV
THX, Da HankSter

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,

I definitley wouldn't use the A/B option just use the A binding posts and either get jumpers or bi-wire those fronts. And yes to get the full surround capability of your xbox you'll definitley want to go HD(the cable can be had for around 40 on ebay from monster or you can buy offbrand) I personally am shopping for a projector at the moment so i don't have a HD set right now. but if i were to buy one, i really like the new samsung dlp's look wonderful. Also if you can look at them try out a Mits DLP, I've heard great things about them. If you can swing it go for 1080p, you'll then be set for the next phase of HD coming over the air whenever that may be. I'm not so good when it comes to the video side of things but again no matter what anyone tells you, YOU HAVE TO BE THE FINAL JUDGE OF QUALITY. Everyone's eyes/ears are different, hence the reason everyone has a different taste in almost everything. So make sure to demo, demo, demo until you find what YOU want.

Bill

P.S. I would bi-wire the speakers and see if you can hear a difference between those and jumpers, i know i could when i did mine that way.

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns
Found this on A/B, bi-wiring, bi-amping .... CLICK HERE and HERE

I'm currently using A & B and two sets of wires, if the AVR I get has no A & B I know what to do now .... THX Bill

Now onto the display ? ? ? Researching today ...

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator

Hank,

Don't use the A&B terminals coming off of your receiver you won't be getting any benefit from doing this. When you do this you split the power coming off of Main L and Main R Amplifiers (the A/B for Main L for example are both running off of the same amplifier within the receiver). If you want to bi-wire take two equal lengths of speaker wire (both have + and -) at one end combine the two positive ends and both negative ends and insert each into proper terminals on back of amp. Then connect the + of wire to + of speaker each terminal and same for -

Speaker Wire Amp(A only)

(+) ------------
......................----- (+)
(+) ------------

(-) ------------
......................----- (-)
(-) ------------

Hope that helps. (ignore the periods i'm not that great when it comes to web based typing and spacing)

Bill

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns
THX Bill for your replys and time... I will definetly go with Bi-Wiring the L-7's

Da HankSter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks