Need Digital Audio Box which...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Jan 11, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I need a Digital Audio Converter/Swithcher Box which will accept at least one optical input and one coax input and has a coax output. Of course, it must be able to convert the optical input to a coax output and switch (automatically?)between the two inputs. Finally, my budget is $100 for this box. Alternatively, I could also buy a simple optical to coax converter and run another coax cable, but I'd prefer to simply use the one I already have in place. Anyone know who sells a box like this?

Thanks!

2. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

John:
    Try www.partsexpress.com and look under optical audio section. I saw something like what you describe.
    You might need to do a combo, meaning an optical to coax convertor plus a coax switcher, but you should still come in under $100. If that's not the right website, let me know and I'll dig a little more.
    Rich B.

3. Pat Pepper

Pat Pepper Auditioning

The Midiman CO2 sounds like what you're looking for. It will convert coaxial to optical (and vice versa), and lists for $79.95. Here's the link:
    Midiman CO2

4. Steve Tack

Steve Tack Agent

I've got one of these, and it works pretty well:
    http://www.yourdigitalhome.com/dss4u/ssa1117.html
    You can mix and match optical and coax on all four inputs and you can output optical or coax. And it just barely meets your budget at $99.95. [​IMG]

5. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Guys: Thank you all very much for your help with my decision!!! I just placed an order for the Audio Authority Model 1177 since it offers me 4 coax and 4 optical inputs, automatically switches based on your set input priorities, and allows me to use both coax and optical outputs should my needs change in the future.
    Now... I think I should upgrade my 40' coax digital cable. [​IMG]