Need different ways up hooking up subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

What are some different ways of hooking up a hsu vft-2 or any sub? I have a crappy receiver and need help or i can't get this great sub, the hsu.

2. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Not to sound mean, but i need some help. I just need to know how you have your sub hooked up to your receiver.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Two main ways to hook up a sub to a receiver...

- Receiver LFE out (also called mix out, sub out) to the subwoofer's low level input (or sub in) using a subwoofer or audio cable. Some subs have both a left and right input. You can use a "Y" cable so both the L and R are connected to the receiver's sub out, or buy a y adaptor for a straight cable.

- Receiver's left and right speaker out using regular speaker wire hooked directly to the sub high level inputs (rather than being hooked up to the L and R speakers). Then you connect the L and R speakers from the sub instead of the receiver using regular speaker wire to the sub's high level outputs. In effect, you are connecting the sub in between the main speakers and the receiver.

4. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Neil, I am going to use the preout on my receiver. Do you recommend a sub cable, audio cable, or "y" cable.

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Easiest way to do it is to do LFE out only, (I use a Y cable myself) and then set all your speakers to small so that deep bass is directed toward the sub only. I've tried it several different ways and that is the way I like best, personally.

6. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

Good stuff, I just bought a Hsu VTF-2 and am looking forward to it arriving. I was wondering how to hook it up.

I was planning on the LFE hookup, but will that play music properly, or just 5.1 sources.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The receiver will take care of it for you. It will play music fine in stereo mode with the sub filling in the bass for your main speakers, and will play fine in 5.1 mode with all 6 speakers operating.

8. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

As best as I know the HSU can be hooked up 2 ways. The first is by regular wires from each of the reciever's speaker output (and then each cable extended out to the L/R main speakers. The other way is with the standard RCA plug into the back (from the LFE/subwoofer output on the back of the reciever).

I just ordered one from a guy selling it used here online. I will try hooking it up when it shows up.