Need diagnosis for Tosh 3108 problem please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Ealey, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Dan Ealey

Dan Ealey Extra

Dan
    I love my Tosh 3108 and have had its firmware upgraded a year ago. I'm experiencing a nasty flicker problem on some films...most recently with Highlander. Looks like the image twists and turns. I stop the player and try again...I even get this flicker when the film is NOT playing...just the menu's.

About 2 months ago I went from S-video to TOSLINK and was astounded by the quality difference (New Onkyo, my old Onkyo predated surround!) Could this be a TOSLINK problem? All of the connections are tight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Dan,

S-video is a video signal - so are you still using this as a video connection? Passing it through the Onkyo could be causing the problem. Maybe you should connect the video directly to your tv set.

Toslink is a digital audio signal - this would not affect video quality or picture at all. Toslink is a type of cable (optical - beam of light basically) for digital audio connection. You can also connect digital audio to your Onkyo via a coaxial digital connection (electric-type signal rather then light beam). Either one works fine - you will get equal quality of audio via either connection.

Eric.

3. Dan Ealey

Dan Ealey Extra

Dan
    Oops!! Showed a little stupidity...of course I meant I use Coax as the audio output and Monster S-video out thru the Onkyo. Sorry.

I'll try going directly from the player to the TV. Any idea why this flicker is not all the time and happens even when only a menu is showing? Shoot, its even happened between discs...I see the tv screen flicker and there's not even a disc in the player!