Need devices to power on my four amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shade Watson, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

What is the cheapest product that takes a 12V input and could switch on my four amps?

2. Steven Lin

Steven Lin Extra

If you're into DIY, then it can be done with a basic powerstrip modified with a DC-triggered relay. Can't get any cheaper than that.
    ------------------
    Steven

3. Shade Watson

Steven,
    Thanks for your reply. Where do I buy a DC-triggered relay?

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

If you are going to power on 4 amps, you might want to go with 2 or 4 relays. You can buy 10 amp rated 12VDC relays many different places:
    Newark Electronics - newark.com
    Grainger Industrial Supply - Grainger.com
    Digikey - digikey.com
    Some bettter brands are potter-brumfield, Omron, but almost any industrial relay will last forever in a home application.
    Make sure you buy the base with the relay, basically a plastic socket with terminal strips for the 12 volts and hooking your power through. You should very definitely buy some sort of electrical enclosure to house themn in so you don't have bare termainals with 120VAC sitting around.
    Check the max current draw of your amps. If they are under 5, you can almost certainly switch 2 safely with one relay. If they are 6 or more, I'd go with one relay per amp. You can buy higher current relays, but they tend to cost alot more.
    BB

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

This gets a little more techincal and requires the need for some more know-how, but I just added a switched outlet.
    I put the switch inside my main equipment rack and ran the receptical behind the rack where the amps are. That way I can just switch them on when I need to.

6. Steven Lin

Steven Lin Extra

Shade,
    I don't know where you can buy one. I was suggesting that building one is the cheapest route.
    You might try looking at Panamax . They might have one.
    ------------------
    Steven

7. Shade Watson

I have very little electrical experience. If one of you could show me exactly what parts to buy, I'm sure that with the help of my co-workers I could build the device.